Old New York Evening Post BuildingEdit profile
The Old New York Evening Post Building is the former office and printing plant of the New York Evening Post newspaper located at 20 Vesey Street in lower Manhattan.
It was built in 1906 by architect Robert D. Kohn and designated a New York City Landmark on November 23, 1965.
It is "one of the few outstanding Art nouveau buildings" ever constructed in the United States.
The fourteen story, stone-veneer building is "reminiscent of the buildings that line the boulevards of Paris". It features three tall bays of cast-iron framed bow windows, separated by pale limestone piers. There is an elaborate copper-covered mansard roof, two stories high and four elaborate sculpted figures. The statues, depicting the Four Periods of Publicity, stand at the fourth floor level. Two are by Gutzon Borglum, sculptor of Mount Rushmore, and two by the architect's wife Estelle Rumbold Kohn.
Oswald Garrison Villard owned the Post at the time the building was constructed.
The New York Landmarks Preservation Commission was headquartered in the building from 1980 to 1987.