Old Marine HospitalEdit profile
Old Marine Hospital was designed by Robert Mills. Construction started in 1831 and was completed in 1833. It is a Gothic revival building at 20 Franklin St. in Charleston, South Carolina. It was built for sick sailors and other transient persons.
The City of Charleston undertook its operation in 1834. During the Civil War, it was used for Confederate forces as well as seamen. It was badly damaged by Union bombardment.
From 1866 to 1870, the Episcopal Church ran a school for African American children. In 1895 to 1939, it was the home of the Jenkins Orphanage for young African American children. It was remodeled in 1939 for offices of the Housing Authority of Charleston.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
The South Carolina Department of Archives and History summary including additional photographs is here. The building was named one of the African American Historic Places in South Carolina.