Old Government House, AucklandEdit profile
Old Government House is the former residence of the Governor of New Zealand in Auckland, New Zealand. The present Government House in Auckland was previously a private residence.
The building, the second Government House built in Auckland, was designed by William Mason, and was completed in 1856 as one of the measures taken by Auckland to retain its status as New Zealand's capital. However, the house was used only sporadically after the seat of government was moved to Wellington in 1865.
In 1969, the University of Auckland took over the building, as the present day Government House was donated for the Governor-General's use. The University has since used the building for its Staff Common Room, Council reception suite, flats for visiting academics, rooms for the Federation of Graduate Women and a lecture theatre.
Royalty have stayed at the house six times, and Queen Elizabeth II broadcast her Christmas speech from the House in 1953.