Old Administrative Area Historic DistrictEdit profile
The Old Administrative Area Historic District, also known as Beaver Creek, is the former headquarters area of Grand Teton National Park. The complex of five houses, three warehouses and an administrative building were designed in the National Park Service rustic style between 1934 and 1939 and were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Public Works Administration. As part of the Mission 66 program, the park headquarters were relocated to Moose, Wyoming in the 1960's.
The site was planned by Keith Matson of the National Park Service. The houses are oriented so that they enjoy a view of Grand Teton from their front porches. The interiors of the buildings have been substantially remodeled over time to accommodate changing tastes, expectations and functions and are not considered historically significant, while the exteriors remain well preserved and substantially unaltered.
The buildings include the park superintendent's house, five houses with garages, the old park administration building, and three warehouses.
The location was the site of the Stewart Ranger Station, which was expanded to become the park headquarters.
The Beaver Creek district was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 23, 1990.