Oklahoma State Capitol
The Oklahoma State Capitol is the seat of government of the U.S. state of Oklahoma, the building that houses the Oklahoma Legislature, and the meeting place of the Oklahoma Supreme Court. It is located along Lincoln Boulevard in Oklahoma City. The present structure includes a dome that was completed in 2002. The building is a National Historic Landmark. The state capitol campus is famous for its oil wells and remains the only state capitol grounds in the United States with active oil rigs. The capitol building sits directly on top of the Oklahoma City Oil Field. These unique features, along with the historic nature of the building draw tourists from around the state each year.


First state capitol
Oklahoma's first capitol was originally located in the city of Guthrie. At noon on April 22, 1889 cannons sounded the start of the Oklahoma land run. In only six hours about 10,000 people had settled in what would soon become the capitol of Oklahoma Territory. Within only months Guthrie became a modern brick and stone "Queen of the Prairie" with municipal water, electricity, a mass transit system and underground parking garages for horses and carriages. Without the protection of the federal government, Oklahoma's newly established government became part of political battle on where the capitol should be located. An election was held to decide where the capitol should be located. The results became clear on election night, and in the middle of the night, on June 11, 1910, the state seal was taken from Guthrie and moved south to Oklahoma City, the present site of the state capitol. For several years the capitol offices were housed in the Huckins Hotel in downtown Oklahoma City.

Second state capitol
The relocated capitol was originally slated to be built in the Warr Acres suburb far from downtown Oklahoma City. The proposal called for the capitol building to front NW 39th Street. However, after three years of consideration, support moved to build the capitol at its present Oklahoma City site approximately two miles from downtown's central business district. The Manhattan Construction Company began construction of the relocated Capitol Building on July 20, 1914 under the direction of Governor Lee Cruce. It was delivered to the state on July 1, 1917 though it wasn't finished until 1919. The completed building had over 400,000 square feet (37,000 m 2) in six floors.

Crowning the state capitol
The original plans called for the relocated capitol building to feature a dome (similar to most state capitols); however, budget constraints at the time and a shortage of building materials due to World War I prevented construction on the dome. Constructing the dome was revived in the 1990s following a feasibility study and completion was the target of a 2007 Oklahoma Centennial projects master plan. In July 2000, Governor Frank Keating announced that a dome would be constructed to complete the capitol building at a cost of $21 million. The dome would stand 255 feet (78 m) high with a 17-foot (5.2 m) tall bronze Native American statue on top of the dome, in honor of Oklahoma's Native American heritage. Master artist Enoch Kelly Haney (formerly an Oklahoma State Senator and later chief of the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma) created The Guardian statue that stands on top of the dome designed by Frankfurt-Short-Bruza. Manhattan Construction Company and Flintco, Inc. worked together to build the dome to historical specifications. A dome raising ceremony was held June 20, 2001, and construction began in August 2001. It was completed and dedicated on Oklahoma's Statehood Day, November 16, 2002.

The capitol today
The Oklahoma State Capitol is composed primarily of white limestone and Oklahoma pink granite. However, the building's dome is made of steel-reinforced concrete and reinforced plaster casts. The west wing of the capitol houses the Oklahoma House of Representatives chamber and offices. The east wing houses the Oklahoma Senate chamber and offices. The Oklahoma Supreme Court and ceremonial office of the governor is located on the second floor. Elected state officials such as the state auditor and inspector, state treasurer, and state attorney general can be found on the first floor. The building also contains a museum, a cafeteria, and a barber shop.

Capitol complex
The state capitol building and the surrounding government buildings, non-government agencies, museums, libraries, and tree lined streets and boulevards form the Oklahoma State Capitol Complex or Capitol Campus. The complex includes the State Capitol Park and the governor's mansion. The surrounding neighborhood is home to numerous restaurants and bars. The Capitol Campus should not be confused with the Capitol Hill neighborhood, located on Oklahoma City's south side.

Building Activity

  • removed 2 media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com