Obukhov State PlantEdit profile
Obukhov State Plant (also known Obukhovski Plant, Russian: Государственный Обуховский Завод, Gosudarstvennyy Obukhovskiy Zavod) is a major Russian metallurgy and heavy machine-building plant in St. Petersburg, Russia. It was founded in 1863 to produce naval artillery based on German designs by Krupp. It has since been a major producer of artillery and other military equipment. From 1922 to 1992 it was renamed Bolshevik Plant no. 232.
In the late 1920s, it became one of the two main Soviet tank factories (along with the Kharkov Locomotive Factory), and produced the first indigenous tank, the T-18. It later became home to the OKMO tank design bureau, which was responsible for the T-26 infantry tank, of which over 12,000 were built.
In 1935, after the assassination of Sergey Kirov, the factory was officially renamed Factory No. 185 (S.M. Kirov), although Leningrad inhabitants continued to refer to it as the Bolshevik Factory (Zaloga 1984:53).
Shortly after the German invasion, Tank Factory No. 185 was evacuated from Leningrad to Chelyabinsk in the Urals in July 1941. It moved again to Omsk in 1961.
The Leningrad factory's historical name was restored in 1992 by the formation of a unitary enterprise, FSUE Obukhov State Plant. In 2002 it became part of the Almaz-Antey military industrial concern, and in 2003, it became a joint-stock company, OJSC GOZ Obukhov Plant.