Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre

Edit profile
Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre
The Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre is a museum of local transport history based at Ruddington in Nottinghamshire on the same site as Rushcliffe Country Park. It houses a collection of steam and diesel locomotives, and is currently the northern terminus of the Great Central Railway (Nottingham) heritage line. A nine-mile section of standard gauge track runs south from Ruddington, towards Loughborough. The NTHC also houses a classic road transport collection, and is home to the Nottingham Society of Model and Experimental Engineers. The Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre is open every Sunday and bank holiday from Easter Sunday to late October, with Santa special trains running regularly in December.

Railway collection
The railway operates on every open day and on the last Sunday of each month it runs steam hauled services to Loughborough Junction, a 19 mile round trip. Diesel services to Loughborough Junction also run occasionally. At other times steam hauls services over a 9 mile round trip to Rushcliffe Halt. In May and October the line also holds diesel galas.

Locomotives
  • Operational Steam Locomotives
  • RSH (Ugly Class) 0-6-0ST No. 56 "Ruddington". (Painted Plain Black. The Locomotive is currently facing Chimney first out of Ruddington. Boiler Ticket expires 2018)
  • Steam locomotives undergoing overhaul, restoration or repair
  • Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST No. 54 "Julia". (Undergoing restoration. The Boiler has now been moved to No.1 Shed pending work)
  • Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST No. 1762 "Dolobran". (Undergoing restoration. The Locomotive Chassis is facing chimney first into Ruddington)
  • Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST No. 2009 "Rhyl". (Undergoing restoration. Work has slowed whilst efforts are concentrating on returning no. 63 to traffic)
  • RSH (Ugly Class) 0-6-0ST No. 63 "Corby". (Moved to No.1 shed where repairs will be carried out in order to return the locomotive to traffic. Return to traffic anticipated for June. The locomotive is currently facing chimney first into Ruddington)
  • Unrestored and stored steam locomotives
  • Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST No. 2015 "Arthur". (Awaiting restoration)
  • S160 2-8-0 No. 1631. (unrestored, in kit form)
  • Operational main line diesel locomotives
  • Class 20 Bo-Bo No. D8007. (BR Green, small yellow ends)
  • Class 20 Bo-Bo No. 20154. (BR Green, full yellow ends)
  • Class 25 Bo-Bo No. D7629. (Two Tone Green)
  • Class 47 Co-Co No. 47292. (Variation of large Logo Blue)
  • Class 47 Co-Co No. 47765. (RES livery)
  • Class 56 Co-Co No. 56097. (BR Trainload Coal)
  • Class 73 Bo-Bo No. E6016. (BR(S) Electric Blue)
  • Class 46 1Co-Co1 No. 46010. (Completed a loaded Test Run to Loughborough Jct on March 28. Arrived in December from the Llangollen Railway) (BR Rail Blue)
  • Main line diesel locomotives undergoing restoration
  • Class 37 Co-Co No. 37340 (37009). (Undergoing restoration to BR Green with full yellow ends)
  • Operational diesel shunters
  • Class 08 0-6-0 No. 13180. (BR Green)
  • Class 08 0-6-0 No. 08220. (BR Blue)
  • Ruston 165 DE 0-4-0 No. D2959 "Staythorpe" (Industrial shunter, Green with fictitious BR number).
  • Ruston 88DS 4w "Marblaegis". (Ruston Green Livery)
  • Simplex 4wd No. 2028 "Morris". (BR Black)
  • Ruston 4w No. 371971 "Qwag". (Ruston Green Livery)
  • Diesel shunters off site
  • Simplex 4wd No. MR1930 "Ubique". (BR Black, On loan to Beamish Museum)
  • Operational diesel multiple units
  • BR Class 116 hybrid unit 51138+51151 running with Class 117 centre car 59501. (BR Mid-Brunswick DMU Green)
  • Diesel multiple units awaiting restoration
  • BR Class 108 unit 53645+53926. (Stored unserviceable awaiting Bodywork, interior restoration and mechanical repairs.) (Blue and Grey)


Carriages
  • BR Mk1 carriages
  • Mk1 RMB (Restaurant Miniature Buffet) 1811 in lined maroon. (Operational)
  • Mk1 CK (Composite Corridor) 16168 in unlined maroon livery. (Operational)
  • Mk1 CK (Composite Corridor) 16190 in lined maroon livery. (Operational, one side is unlined)
  • MK1 BFK (Brake First Corridor)17023 in lined maroon livery (Operational, Dual braked)
  • MK1 BSK (Brake Corridor Second)34249 later Derby RTC Laboratory Coach 975046. (Stored Serviceable)
  • Mk1 TSO (Tourist Standard Open) 4207 in lined maroon livery. (Undergoing overhaul)
  • Mk1 RSO (Restaurant Second Open) 1012 later Cinema Coach 150353. (Stored awaiting restoration)
  • BR Mk2 carriages
  • Mk2 BSO (Brake Standard Open) 9389 ( Operational, lined maroon livery)
  • Mk2 RFB 1215. Built as FO (First Open) 3377 later converted to RFB (Restaurant First Buffet)BR Blue/Grey Livery. (Operational)
  • Mk2b TSO 5497 (Operational, painted BR blue and grey)
  • Mk2a BSK 35512 (Operational, painted BR blue and grey)
  • BR Mk3 carriages
  • Mk3 SLEP (Sleeper Coach) 10602.
  • Six wheelers
  • MSLR 6 wheeler 946. (Undergoing restoration in No.1 shed.)
  • MSLR 6 wheeler 373. (Stored, partially dismantled, unrestored. According to the owner's website "flat packed to avoid structural collapse". Formerly held together with rope.)
  • Barnum carriages
  • GCR Barnum dining coach 664. (Stored undercover in the locomotive running shed. No restoration carried out since being moved inside the shed.)
  • GCR Barnum brake coach 695. (Stored undercover in the locomotive running shed. No restoration carried out since being moved inside the shed.)
  • GCR Barnum Dining coach 666. (Stored out of use. No restoration carried out.)
  • GCR Barnum bar coach 228. (Stored undercover in the locomotive running shed. No restoration carried out since being moved inside the shed.)
  • Other carriages
  • GCR Clerestory brake coach 1663. (Detached coach body stored in loco running shed on a flat wagon. Future frames in yard. Several years since any work was carried out on this vehicle.)
  • GCR Suburban brake coach 555. (Stored / unrestored.)
  • GCR Suburban composite coach 799. (Stored / unrestored.)
  • Non-passenger carrying stock
  • BR Mk1 GUV (General Utility Van) 86565.
  • BR Mk1 GUV (General Utility Van) 86129.
  • GWR 1025 'Siphon G' bogie gangwayed Milk Van W1025W. (Stored out of service)
  • Mk1 BG (Gangwayed Full Brake) Ex-RES "Super BG" 94407.


Wagons
  • Brake vans
  • LNER 20-ton Brake Van 287664 built in 1947. (Operational, painted BR Grey)
  • GWR 20-ton Toad Brake Van 68500 built in 1947. (Part way through overhaul, painted GWR Grey)
  • LMS 20-ton Brake Van 357488 built in 1926. (painted BR Bauxite with LMS lettering)
  • BR 20-ton Brake Van 952282 built in 1954. (Operational, painted BR Bauxite)
  • LMS 20-ton Brake Van 357771 built in 1927. (Awaiting resumption of overhaul, undercover in No. 5 building)
  • BR 20-ton Brake Van 954353 built in 1958. (Operational, painted in BR Bauxite)
  • Vans
  • BR Palvan 779761 built in 1958. (painted army green)
  • BR Widefit 784455 built in 1962. (painted BR Bauxite)
  • BR 29-ton VAA 200631 built in 1976.
  • BR Widefit 783447 built in 1962. (painted army green)
  • BR Palvan 778771 built in 1959. (painted BR Bauxite)
  • BR Palvan 776155 built in 1957. (painted army green)
  • BR Palvan 782111 built in 1960. (painted army green)
  • BR Widefit 783257 built in 1962. (painted army green)
  • Railfreight Pressed Steel Box Van 786902.
  • Railfreight Pressed Steel Box Van 201055.
  • BR Ferry Van 786902 built in 1962.
  • Ballast wagons
  • BR Dogfish ballast hopper wagon 993039 built in 1959. (Operational, painted BR Black)
  • BR Dogfish ballast hopper wagon 983586 built in 1960. (Operational, painted BR Black)
  • BR Dogfish ballast hopper wagon 993597 built in 1959. (Operational, painted BR Black)
  • BR Dogfish ballast hopper wagon 993230 built in 1957. (Operational, painted BR Black)
  • BR Grampus open wagon 991831 built in 1958. (Operational, painted BR Black)
  • BR Shark ballast plough 993874 built in 1959. (Operational, painted BR Black)
  • Tank wagon
  • Shell BP Class A Tanker 5209 built in 1964. (Operational, painted grey)
  • Open wagons
  • LMS 12-ton open wagon 411453 built in 1937. (painted BR Bauxite)
  • LNER 12-ton pipe Wagon 301568. (painted BR Grey)
  • LNER 20-ton pipe Wagon Wagon 301597.
  • LMS 22-ton Steel Plate Wagon 060911 1947.
  • Flat wagons
  • LMS 50-ton Warwell 721218 built in 1949. (Operational, painted Brown)
  • BR Weltrol 900936 built in 1960. (Operational)
  • LNER 22 ton Lowmac wagon 230964 (Operational, painted BR Grey)
  • War Dept. Warflat 260140. (used to carry the body of Clerestory 1663 until its underframe is ready)
  • BR Bogie Bolster 943545 built in 1953. (pained brown)
  • BR Bogie Rail Sturgeon A 994271 built in 1956.
  • BR Bogie Rail Sturgeon A 994770 built in 1953.
  • BR Wetrol 900937 built in 1960.
  • Rail cranes
  • Taylor Hubbard 8.5-tonne Diesel Rail Pway Crane 81353.
  • LNER Cowans Sheldon 45-tonne Steam Rail Crane 941602 (9017). (Stored at Ruddington awaiting overhaul, painted Lined BR Black with early crest)
If you wish to help out with carriage and wagon maintenance then please contact the GCRN Operations Director. CUV 218C by the front entrance to the NTHC PFN 865 and GSU 841 on display together C444 KVH, D544 REM and FBC 56T in the road transport depot

Road transport collection
  • Leyland Atlantean Nottingham City Transport ARC 666T "Andrew Pickering" built in 1978 (numerous experimental features made this vehicle unique amongst NCT's Atlanteans,)
  • AEC Regent III Nottingham City Transport OTV 161 built in 1954.
  • Trent Buses AEC Militant 'wrecker' GSU 841 "Gus" built in 1952. (Name Gus not carried, later had its body replaced from a Bristol ECW)
  • Ford Capri Mk 3 2.0 Litre Laser,C444 KVH built in 1985. Has been converted from 'Auto' to manual gearbox, fitted with K&N air filter and Ally Cat wheels.
Seen as part of Mansfield Notts branch Capri Club display at the 2007 Ford Enthusiasts Spring show at Donington in the classic 'Cops & Robbers' themed 'Professionals' display. Also featured at the Classic Motor Show NEC in November 2008 as part of the Capri Club International display.
  • Ford Capri Mk 3 D544 REM 2.0 Litre built in 1986. Converted from 'Auto' to manual gearbox, total engine re-build, full re-spray and pollybush kit just fitted.
Featured at the Classic Motor Show NEC in November 2008 as part of the Capri Club International display.
  • Routemaster RCL London Transport CUV 218C built in 1965. (Notable for being the first RCL Routemaster to be built)
  • Leyland Atlantean open-top ex Northern General and Trent ORC 545P built in 1976. (Was also registered MPT 299P and YRC 194 before receiving its present registration)
  • Barton Transport AEC Reliance/Plaxton Panorama coach 866 HAL built in 1960. (Undergoing restoration)
  • Chevrolet Corvette C3 FBC 56T built in 1978. (Undergoing overhaul)
  • Leyland PD1 ex Leicester and Barton DJF 349 built in 1947. (Undergoing restoration)
  • Leyland Lion LT5 South Notts VO 8846 built in 1933. (Stored awaiting a major restoration)
  • Leyland National Mk.1 Trent Buses KVO 429P built in 1975.
  • Leyland Royal Tiger/Duple Roadmaster South Notts MAL 310 built in 1951. (Stored awaiting restoration)
  • Leyland PD1 Barton Transport JVO 230 built in 1948. (Stored in the road transport depot awaiting major repairs)
Also on site is a Plaxton Panorama coach which is being used for spares for 866 HAL's restoration. A Nottingham Tram body is also in the collection.

Arson attack
On the morning of 21 February 2007, firefighters were called to tackle a serious fire that had taken hold among a row of tightly-parked buses from the collection. The vehicles were parked outside the main building, and it is suspected that the fire was the result of an arson attack. The fire was brought under control, before it could spread to the main museum building, but not before several of the vehicles had suffered severe damage. In total, five buses were destroyed and two others damaged. The vehicles affected were as follows:
  • SCH 117X – 1982 Daimler Fleetline – South Notts 117
  • LVR 508W – 1981 Bedford / Plaxton Supreme coach – ex Lincoln
  • STO 523H – 1970 Leyland Atlantean – Nottingham City Transport 523
  • LNN 89E – 1967 Albion Lowlander – South Notts 89
  • DAU 370C – 1965 AEC Renown – Nottingham City Transport 370
  • VRC 612Y – 1982 Leyland Leopard / Plaxton Supreme coach – Barton 612
  • ARC 666T – 1978 Leyland Atlantean – Nottingham City Transport 666 (now repaired)
Two locomotives pulling passenger trains on the miniature railway (Note the Crazy Frog picture on the window of the miniature British Rail Class 35)

Miniature railway
The centre is home to a miniature railway, run by the Nottingham Society of Model and Experimental Engineers, which works on the operating days. The line is one mile long and has two running lines, both going through different tunnels. They usually have a miniature railway gala and a miniature traction engine rally during the year.

Model railway
The centre also has three model railway layouts in a portacabin next to the miniature railway. There are two OO gauge layouts; the first is a Thomas the Tank Engine layout and the second is a model of the old Ruddington Station. The third feature, an O gauge layout is a model of a station with a goods and locomotive shed with a Church, woodworking centre and a factory. There is usually a model railway gala each year.

Visitor centre
The visitor centre contains displays about the centre's railway locomotives and vehicles in the road transport collection, the history of freight trains, locomotives and historic bus operators in Nottingham. There are plans to shortly put up displays on the centre's previous life as the Ruddington MOD Depot.

Museum
The museum is situated next to the NSMEE workshops. The museum has a Ferguson F20 tractor, Fordson Model N Standard tractor and some models of barn engines, stationary engines and a saw bench that can be worked by the Fordson tractor. The Ferguson tractor is a runner but the Fordson tractor needs radiator repairs and has got a flat tyre. The museum is currently closed to the public. D375 ASG and R649 JFE on display in between duties Vehicles inside No. 3 building. Vehicles shown in this photo (from left to right) are 1410, C178 AWW, VUT 493X and A130 BRB. MAN 833 and the Redone Tractor are just visible at the back

Permanent way
The centre is also home to a number of Land Rovers. A list with the status of the vehicles are shown below. These vehicles below are kept tightly packed in No. 3 building.
  • Land Rover series 1 MAN 833. (Awaiting repairs)
  • Land Rover series 2 DOM 120V. (Under repair)
  • Land Rover Defender D375 ASG. (Operational)
  • Land Rover 110 Balfour Beatty Road Railer R649 JFE. (Operational)
  • Land Rover Defender C178 AWW. (Operational, fitted with a cherry picker on the back)
  • Leyland Constructor A130 BRB. (Operational, fitted with a crane)
  • David Brown Tractor 1410. (Operational, fitted with a fence post driver)
  • 1959 Fordson Dexta Tractor (Under restoration)
  • ERF Tractor unit VUT 493X (Out of operation)


The railway route
  • Nottingham Riverside
There is some speculative talk of extending the line beyond Ruddington, via Wilford, to a new station next to the River Trent on the (southern outskirts of Nottingham) which would be called Nottingham Riverside. There may also be the opportunity to interchange with the Nottingham Tram network if the intended extension is built.
  • Wilford
  • Ruddington Fields
Ruddington is the main station on the line, and the home of the Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre. It features a road transport building, locomotive sheds, signal box, miniature and model railways, cafe, visitor centre, toilets and car park. The country park borders the Heritage Centre. In 2009 the new platform was opened. 9389 is pushed past Asher Lane crossing by 56
  • Asher Lane Crossing
For a short time this was the end of the line. The old style crossing is on a farm road used by the public. It is a short walk from the country park to the crossing, where it is possible to see trains passing and the crossing keeper at work. A carriage shed may be built here in the future. There is no station at Asher Lane.
  • Fifty Steps Bridge
This is the end of the spur from the Heritage Centre, and here trains reverse for the onward journey to Loughborough. Passenger trains ran to this point in 1995. Surprisingly enough, the bridge itself originally had "Fifty Steps" but subsequent modifications have increased that number. There is no station here at present, although it is possible that a platform might be constructed in the future. The old Ruddington station is further down the line and there are plans to purchase the station and extend there.
  • Gotham Sidings
There are currently no buildings or track beyond the actual line, but if funds and planning permission can be collected, the GCRN will be able to create a new set of sidings here, similar to the ones at Swithland on the Leicester section.
  • Gotham Branchline
Connected to the Great Central Mainline via Gotham Sidings during the age of steam, the short freight branch was torn up years ago. Some of the track could be relaid and become a passenger serving attraction like the Mountsorrel Railway, but doing so would be expensive and the GCR(N) has had no talks regarding or disregarding the future of the trackbed. RSH Ugly 0-6-0ST 56 propelling a train through Gotham Moor
  • Gotham Moor
Trains pass through pleasant countryside, teeming with wildlife along with passing under a few bridges. There are views across Gotham Moor. There were once sidings there and it is hoped one day that the sidings would be reinstated. Rushcliffe Halt Station
  • Rushcliffe Halt
This is the only other station on the line currently available for passenger use. On many operating days soutbound trains terminate here before heading back to Ruddington. Station development is ongoing. Some rolling stock is stored in the adjacent sidings. The overhead road bridge gives a good view of the station area and sidings. Just next to the station is the British Gypsum works. On weekdays, trainloads of gypsum are delivered to the works and unloaded on the concrete pad visible from the station platforms. In recent years these trains have been operated by EWS with a mixture of Class 60 and Class 66 traction, and latterly by GBRf Class 66s. The disused East Leake station
  • East Leake Halt
A disused station about 1 mile from Rushcliffe Halt. The development of land around the station since closure presents an obstacle to re-opening it for passenger use.
  • Barnstone Tunnel
Barnstone Tunnel is the only tunnel on line. It was built by the Victorian navvies and was dug out by hand.
  • Stanford and Barnstone
between Barnstone Tunnel and Stanford Viaduct is plenty of space for what shall one day eventually consider a train station for which passengers could use to get off and look at the scenes below Stanford Viaduct Stanford Viaduct
  • Stanford Viaduct
The line travels over the River Soar, providing a view of the river below. The viaduct is completely original and NTHC passenger trains first travelled across it in 2000. The viaduct was built in 1895.
  • Loughborough Midland High Level
This is currently the end of the line on the Nottingham side, just after passing the FKI/Brush works. GCRN services terminate at a Stop Board close to a road. Beyond that is the connection to Network Rail and the Midland Main Line. There are plans for a station to be built here. The loco shed of the Great Central Railway at Loughborough are just visible, across the Midland Mainline. There are plans to reinstate a bridge across the Midland Mainline and to join up with the GCR at Loughborough on the Leicester side.
  • Loughborough Central
Loughborough Central is the largest of the working stations on the line, and the start of the line on the Leicester side. Loughborough shed currently in the way will be replaced in the near-future by a larger, more historically significant building on the site of an abandoned rubbish dump.
  • Quorn & Woodhouse
  • Swithland Viaduct
Swithland Viaduct crosses Swithland reservoir.
  • Swithland Sidings
This is a set of sidings owned by the GCSR of the Leicester side. They were reinstated and reopened as part of the double track reinstatement project in 2000.
  • Rothley
  • Leicester North
This is currently the end of the line on the Leicester side, this station was originally called Belgrave and Birstall, however the original station site a few metres from the terminus was vandalised and the original station buildings where demolished in the late 1980s. Leicester North opened around over a decade later in 2000.
  • Leicester Riverside


Building Activity

  • removed 2 media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com