Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore

Edit profile
Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore
Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore ("Our Lady of the Sacred Heart", also known as San Giacomo degli Spagnoli) is a Catholic church dedicated to the Virgin Mary located in Rome's Piazza Navona.

History
An earlier church had been erected in the same place, on the ruins of the Stadium of Domitian, in the 12th century. The new edifice was built for the Holy Year of 1450 by commission of Enrique of Castile, son of King Ferdinand III of Castile. The façade, once facing the opposite side than now, was designed by Bernardo Rossellino. Pope Alexander VI, of Spanish origin, later had a square carved out in front of it. Starting in 1506 the church was the national church of the Spanish nation in Rome. When Santa Maria in Monserrato degli Spagnoli was completed in the 17th century, the focus of the Spanish community shifted to that church, which is now the Spanish national church. Pope Leo XIII had the edifice, which was on the verge of crumbling down, extensively renovated in the late 19th century. At that time the main entrance was moved to face Piazza Navona. The apse and the transept were demolished in 1938 to open the current Corso del Rinascimento avenue.

Interior
Most of the works of art and funerary monuments in the church were transferred to Santa Maria in Monserrato. What remains in the church are some Renaissance works, such as a chancel in polychrome marble and the marble backdrop behind the high altar. The Cappella di San Giacomo is also intact.