Northern Ostrobothnia museumEdit profile
The Northern Ostrobothnia museum (Finnish: Pohjois-Pohjanmaan museo) is a museum of cultural history. This provincial museum focuses on the city of Oulu and its the surrounding province Northern Ostrobothnia. The museum is situated in the Ainola Park in the Myllytulli neighbourhood in Oulu.
The museum was founded in 1896 and it was maintained by a museum society until 1969, when the ownership was handed over to the city of Oulu. Between the years 1911–1929 the museum operated in an old wooden villa Villa Ainola, which was destroyed in a fire on July 9th, 1929. Some of the collections of the museum were also destroyed. Soon after the fire the current museum building was started to be built on the site of the old villa. The new stone house was completed in 1931. The building was designed by a Finnish architect Oiva Kallio.
The basic exhibition extends in the all other floors of the building except the bottom floor, which is dedicated to the changing exhibitions and an exhibition for the children. The exhibition for the children is which is based on the Doghill books by Finnish children's author Mauri Kunnas. The ground floor hosts a large scale model of Oulu city centre in the year 1938 before the bombings of the World War II.