North Tees Power Station
North Tees Power Station refers to a series of three coal-fired power stations on the River Tees at Billingham in County Durham. Overall, they operated from 1921 until 1983, and the C station, the last on the site, was demolished in 1987. Billingham Biomass Power Station is to be built on their site.

North Tees A
The North Tees A Station was first proposed in 1917 by the North Eastern Electric Supply Company. It was constructed and opened in 1921. The station was designed by the engineering consultants Merz & McLellan. The station used two Metropolitan-Vickers 20,000 kilowatt (kW) turbo-alternators to generate electricity, giving it a total generating capacity of 40,000 kW. The station pioneered in the development of the reheat cycle between turbines in power stations. In 1922, W.S. Monroe of the Chicago based consulting firm Sargent & Lundy described North Tees Power Station as "the most advanced power station in the world". When the UK's national grid distribution system was brought into use in 1932, the station was one of a small number of stations in the region to be converted from the 40 hertz (Hz) frequency used by the North Eastern grid system to the 50 Hz frequency used by the national system. However, the nearby ICI plant, which operated its own power station, required the North Tees A station's power as back-up, but the power needed to be supplied at 40 Hz, and so the A station retained three frequency changers to supply back-up power for many years after the change over, until the 1950s, when new electrical equipment needed to be ordered at the ICI plant. The station closed in 1959, after a number of years being used as a reserve station for high demand. Following closure, Metropolitan-Vickers took the rotors from the stations and tested them to destruction, to find out why the older machines were more efficient than the new ones.

North Tees B
The B station was commissioned in 1934, and used pulverised fuel firing, an advanced technology at the time the station was built. The station generated electricity using two Parsons and one Metropolitan-Vickers turbines, each driving two alternators in tandem. It was demolished in the late 1960s.

North Tees C
The C Station was propsed in 1945 and built in 1949. It used two 60,000 kilowatt (kW) turbo-alternators, giving it a total generating capacity of 120 MW. It was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott, who also designed Battersea Power Station. The station is one of the first in the world to have used hydrogen cooled generators. In the 1980s it was operated by Imperial Chemical Industries, who used it to provide electricity for its factories in Billingham. The station was decommissioned on 31 October 1983, with a generating capacity of 236 MW. It was demolished in 1987.

Future of site
The station's site is currently part of Billingham Reach Industrial Estate, an international wharf owned by Able UK Ltd. On 15 October 2009, planning permission was granted for the Billingham Biomass Power Station, which is to be built on the site of the former coal fired power stations.

Media

2 photos