North Dakota Governor's ResidenceEdit profile
The North Dakota Governor's Residence is the home of the Governor of North Dakota. The current residence is located on the southwest corner of the North Dakota State Capitol grounds in Bismarck, and is the second official residence that has been built for North Dakota's governors.Former Governors' Mansion
The original governor's mansion was built during 1884 as a private home for Bismarck businessman Asa Fisher. Fisher homesteaded in Edwinton (Bismarck) during 1872 and made a fortune with banking, real estate and liquor sales. During 1893, the house was sold to the state for $5000. The house was used as the governor's residence from 1893–1960 and was the home of 20 North Dakota governors. During 1975, the State Legislature approved House Bill 1315 which transferred ownership to the State Historical Society of North Dakota. The house was renovated to look like it did during 1893 and began operation as a North Dakota State Historic Site during 1983.Current Governor's Residence
During 1955, the North Dakota legislature approved House Bill 761 providing $200,000 for a new governor's residence to be built because the current mansion was in a state of disrepair. Construction started during 1959 and was completed during 1960. Governor John Davis was the last governor to live in the old mansion and the first to live in the new residence. During 2000, a complete remodeling of most of the home was done.