North Christian ChurchEdit profile
The North Christian Church is a church in Columbus, Indiana. Founded in 1955, it is part of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The church building of 1964 was designed by Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen (1910–1961) and completed in 1964. The church was the last building designed by Saarinen before his death. Saarinen's father Eliel Saarinen had designed the First Christian Church in Columbus. The building is hexagonal in shape, with a central spire which is 192 feet (59 m) high. Below the spire, there is an oculus that admits light into the main level. The sanctuary is located at the center of the building, with the altar located in the center of the sanctuary. Rows of pews surround the altar in a hexagon, reflecting the idea that worship should be a central aspect of the life of the congregation. The lower level contains classrooms, an auditorium, a kitchen and an activities area.