North Carolina State CapitolEdit profile
The North Carolina State Capitol is the capitol building of the U.S. state of North Carolina. Housing the offices of the Governor of North Carolina, it is located in the state capital of Raleigh on Capitol Square at One East Edenton Street. The Greek Revival building was completed in 1840. It was primarily designed by the architectural firm of Ithiel Town and Alexander Jackson Davis. Often credited solely to that team, the design of the capitol was actually the result of a sequence of work by William Nichols, Sr. and his son William Nichols, Jr., Town and Davis, and then David Paton. The Capitol housed the entire state government until 1888, and the North Carolina General Assembly met in the capitol building until 1963 when the legislature relocated to its current location in the North Carolina State Legislative Building. The offices of the state Lieutenant Governor were situated in the capitol building until after 1969, when the Lieutenant Governor relocated to the Hawkins-Hartness House a few blocks away on North Blount Street. Also the North Carolina Supreme Court also has convened in the building in the past. Today, the current Governor, Bev Perdue and her immediate staff occupy offices in the State Capitol along with the current Lieutenant Governor Walter Dalton and his immediate staff. The Capitol was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973.