North Carolina Executive Mansion

Edit profile
North Carolina Executive Mansion
The North Carolina Executive Mansion is the official residence of the Governor of North Carolina and the governor's family. It was designed by noted architects Samuel Sloan and A.G. Bauer, and building began during the year 1883. The first occupants, Governor Daniel G. Fowle and his family, relocated into the unfinished building during January 1891. It is an example of Queen Anne style architecture. The original street plan of the city of Raleigh had designated Burke Square as a possible location for the governor's residence. Burke Square was occupied already by the Raleigh Academy by the time the state decided to build and a different site for the house was chosen. The legislature approved a bill during 1883, prompted by Governor Thomas Jordan Jarvis, to authorize the construction on Burke Square of Raleigh's third official gubernatorial residence. The bill provided for its major furnishings and required that the governor occupy the new dwelling. Prison labor was used for construction and building materials were used that could be made at the local penitentiary when feasible. Samuel Sloan, of Philadelphia, and his assistant, Aldophus Gustavus Bauer, were chosen as architects. Sloan arrived in Raleigh with his designs for the elaborate structure during April 1883 and work began during early summer. Sloan died during 1885, six years before the completion of the house, and Bauer assumed sole responsibility for the remainder of the project. Bauer remained in North Carolina to become one of the state's most important nineteenth-century architects. The bricks for the house were made from Wake County clay and molded by prison labor. Many of these bricks, particularly in the sidewalks surrounding the house, still bear the inscribed names of the men who made them. The sandstone trim came from Anson County. The marble steps in front (later moved to the north side) came from Cherokee County, and oak and heart pine were transported from all across North Carolina for use in the building. Since its initial construction during 1882, few major changes have been made to the building's exterior. Porches on the north and east sides have been enclosed to expand kitchen and security facilities. A Neoclassical restyling was performed during Governor Angus W. McLean's administration. Many 19th century features were changed or removed, including painting of woodwork; removal of stained glass, balustrades, overmantel mirrors and shelving; and replacement of columns and pilasters. Jeanelle C. Moore, wife of Governor Dan K. Moore, began a campaign for public awareness of the mansion's historic and cultural significance. Her dedication resulted in the formation of the Executive Mansion Fine Arts Committee, a statutory committee which advises and supports the acquisition of gifts, purchases, maintenance and preservation. During 1970, the mansion was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. during 1974-75, the mansion had a major renovation which included the plumbing, heating, air conditioning and electrical systems. These interior and exterior rehabilitation projects were crucial to the preservation and continued use of the building. During 1988, formation of the Executive Mansion Fund Inc., a non-profit corporation, provided further assistance for restoration and preservation. The fund is charged with soliciting grants, donations, bequests and other contributions and with investing and managing these funds. Its successful Second Century campaign resulted in the establishment of a $2 million endowment. The Executive Mansion Fund Inc. has established a membership organization"the Friends of the Executive Mansion, a group of concerned individual and corporate citizens who wish to assist the Executive Mansion by their annual contributions.

Governor's Western Residence
The State of North Carolina also owns a second residence for the use of the governor, at 45 Patton Mountain Road on Town Mountain near Asheville. It was donated to the state by the Asheville Chamber of Commerce during 1964, in the hope that future governors would spend more time in"- and hence pay more attention to"- the western portion of the state. The home was built originally during 1939 by Tom Brimer, who was then owner of Good Humor Ice Cream. It has 6,000-square-foot (560 m 2), and sits on 18 acres (73,000 m 2) of land. Most governors have spent little time there.

Building Activity

  • Nadezhda Nikolova
    Nadezhda Nikolova activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com