Noble-Seymour-Crippen HouseEdit profile
The Noble-Seymour-Crippen House, also known as the Norwood Park Historical Society Museum, is a mansion located at 5624 North Newark Avenue in Chicago's Norwood Park community area. Its southern wing, built in 1833, is widely considered the oldest existing building in Chicago.
The southern wing of the mansion was originally used as a farmhouse by Mark Noble, Sr., an English immigrant. In 1868, Thomas Hartley Seymour of the Chicago Board of Trade purchased the house and surrounding land, adding an Italianate style northern wing to accommodate his large family and their servants. The family lived at the site until 1916, when they sold it to Stuart and Charlotte Allen Crippen, a concert pianist and an actress. During the 1920s, the Crippens installed indoor plumbing and electricity and added a second stairway to the Noble wing. The Crippen children and grandchildren sold the building to the Norwood Park Historical Society in 1987.
The Noble-Seymour-Crippen House received Chicago Landmark status on May 11, 1988. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 10, 2000. Since 1998, the building has served as a museum and community center.