Nobbys Head
Originally called Coal Island, Nobbys Head is a headland on the south side of the entrance to Newcastle Harbour, New South Wales, Australia. It is the location of Nobbys Head Lighthouse, the third lighthouse built in New South Wales after the Macquarie Lighthouse in 1818 and the Hornby Lighthouse which was also built in 1858. The lighthouse is included in Newcastle's Coat of Arms.

Nobbys Head was first sighted by Europeans on 10 May 1770 by Captain James Cook from the ship Endeavour and was described by Cook as; "A small round rock or Island, laying close under the land, bore South 82 degrees West, distance 3 or 4 Leagues". It was not until the discovery of coal by Lt. John Shortland in 1797, that the island was viewed as having any significance. In 1804, Signal Head was the first place in Newcastle that any form of Navigational aid was set up. Originally a coal burning light, it was changed over to oil in 1821 for a short period of time but was reverted back to coal as the oil system was not reliable. Governor Macquarie ordered a pier to be built to join Coal island to Collier Point. The pier was started on 5 August 1818 and convict labour was used to do the construction. It took 38 years to complete the pier and during this time numerous convicts were lost to the sea due to the convicts having to work through all sea and weather conditions, night and day. Nobbys Head was originally 62 metres (203 ft) high but was reduced to 27.5 metres (90 ft) because sailing ships were losing wind in the sails as they rounded Nobbys Head. The rock taken from Nobbys to reduce its height was used in the pier's construction.

Nobbys Lighthouse and Newcastle Port Corporation (Custodians of Nobbys Head) have proposed alterations and additions to buildings on Nobbys Headland. They hope to develop an interpretive facility, restaurant and tourist accommodation.