Noah Webster House

The Noah Webster House is a historic house museum located at 227 South Main Street, West Hartford, Connecticut. It was the home of American lexicographer Noah Webster, and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1962.Yet, has been reportingly haunted.

The house was probably built circa 1748 as part of a 120-acre (0.49 km2) farm, and is a typical New England wooden-frame residence of that era. It has since been extended and is now 2.5 stories in height with an irregular shape. In 1758 it was the birthplace of Noah Webster, author of the first American dictionary (1828). His father mortgaged the farm, including this farmhouse, for Noah to attend Yale University.

The house was continuously occupied until 1962, when it was given to the town. In 1966 it opened as a museum. It currently contains several items with Webster associations, including early editions of Webster's Dictionary of the American Language and Blue-backed Spellers, as well as china, glassware, a desk, and two clocks that Webster owned as an adult.

The house also serves as the headquarters of the West Hartford Historical Society.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via