Nightingale-Brown House

The Nightingale–Brown House is a National Historic Landmark at 357 Benefit Street in Providence, Rhode Island, United States, that is home to the John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage at Brown University.

In 1792 Captain Joseph Nightingale built the house. In 1814 Nicholas Brown, Jr. purchased the home. His descendants owned the house until the death of Anne S.K. Brown in 1985, at which point it was donated to Brown University. Architects Thomas Tefft and Richard Upjohn made additions in 1853 and 1864, respectively. Frederick Law Olmstead landscaped the grounds in 1890.

The site was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1989.

It is included in the College Hill Historic District.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 2 digital references and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via