Niagara Falls Public LibraryEdit profile
Niagara Falls Public Library, also known as the Carnegie Library in order to distinguish it from the new Earl W. Brydges Library, is a historic library located at Niagara Falls in Niagara County, New York. It was designed and built in 1902-1904, with funds provided by the philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It is one of 3,000 such libraries constructed between 1885 and 1919, and one of 107 in New York State. The structure cost $50,000 to build. It is a low one-story brick structure. The interior features elaborate plaster moldings and trim, marble steps, and pale skylights. The building functioned as a library until March 9, 1974 when the library's collections outgrew the small building and were moved to the new Earl W. Brydges Building at 1425 Main Street, and is now occupied by the offices of Niagara Falls Urban Renewal Agency, along with other city departments.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.