Newstead House, Brisbane

Newstead House, in Newstead Park, was built by Brisbane's first architect and builder Andrew Petrie for fellow Scottish settler Patrick Leslie in 1846 on the Breakfast Creek bank of the Brisbane River, in the Brisbane suburb of Newstead, in Queensland, Australia. Patrick Leslie was the first squatter on the Darling Downs, and the first person to buy land in Warwick, Queensland.

History

Newstead House is the oldest house in Brisbane, but not the oldest surviving building. In 1847 Patrick Leslie (married to Catherine McArthur) sold Newstead House to his brother-in-law Captain John Wickham (married to Anna McArthur), the Police Magistrate and Government Resident.

The building was occupied by American troops during World War II. There is an Australian-American War Memorial in the grounds in memory of this.

Newstead House is now a museum and is heritage listed. It is open to the public, and concerts are sometimes held at the house and grounds.

In the 1920s the Brisbane City Council constructed an electrical substation for its tramway system in the grounds of the House. Since the closure of the tram system in 1969 the substation has been used by the Queensland National Trust.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com