Newport railway station, Melbourne

Edit profile
Newport is a railway station in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, located in the suburb of Newport, at the junction of the Werribee and Williamstown railway lines. Newport is classed as a Premium Station and is in Metcard Zone 1.

Facilities
Newport is located between Melbourne Road and Hall Street, with station access from both via an underpass. The station consists of two side platforms; Platform 1 has a large brick building with an enclosed waiting room, ticket office and toilets, while platform 2 has a semi-large brick building. A large Metcard vending machine is located inside the waiting area, able to dispense most ticketing options available and also accept notes and coins. A small coin-only Metcard vending machine is located on platform 2, as well as inside the waiting area. A signal box is situated at the Werribee end of platform 1. Two sidings exist at the Melbourne end of the station for the stabling of trains used on the Williamstown line shuttle service. The Western standard gauge line to Adelaide is also adjacent to the station, with the Newport Railway Workshops situated at the Down end of the station.

Platforms and services
Platform 1:
  • Werribee line all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
  • Williamstown line - terminating services; peak hour all stations services to Flinders Street
  • Geelong line - intercity services Southern Cross
Platform 2:
  • Werribee line - all stations and limited stops services to Werribee
  • Williamstown line - all stations services to Williamstown
  • Geelong line - intercity services to Geelong, South Geelong and Marshall


Bus services
  • 432 Yarraville ”“ Newport via Altona Gate SC (every day). Operated by Sita Bus Lines.
  • 471 Sunshine ”“ Williamstown via Altona Gate SC, Newport (every day). Operated by Sita Bus Lines.
  • 472 Moonee Ponds ”“ Williamstown via Ascot Vale, Flemington Racecourse, Footscray, North Williamstown RS (every day). Operated by Sita Bus Lines.


History
The Geelong and Melbourne Railway Company opened the line to Newport in 1857 from Geelong, but it ran along North Road to a temporary terminus at Greenwich as the line on to Melbourne was not yet complete. In October that year the line towards Williamstown was completed, and so the Geelong line was connected to it. In 1859, the Williamstown line was finally completed to Melbourne, and Newport station opened on March 1, 1859 as Geelong Junction. It was renamed Williamstown Junction in 1869 before being renamed Newport in 1881. In 1887, the Newport-Sunshine line was opened to provide easier access to the port of Williamstown from the north of Victoria. A number of sidings were provided in the area, to a flour mill on the Melbourne side, and a goods yard on the western side of the Williamstown line. The level crossing at Melbourne Road was replaced with the current overbridge in October 1960, and in 1966 the freight line behind platform 1 was provided. In 1995, the Western standard gauge line to Adelaide was completed though the station. Newport was upgraded to a Premium Station on July 18, 1996.

Media

1 photo

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 6 media and uploaded a media file
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com