Coordinates: 33°36′26.38″N 117°55′44.19″W / 33.6073278°N 117.9289417°W / 33.6073278; -117.9289417 The Newport Pier is one of two piers located within the city of Newport Beach, California, at the center of the Balboa Peninsula. It is 1,032 feet (314.6 m) long and registered as California Historical Landmark number 794.
Located at Oceanfront Boulevard and 21st Place, it is popular for angling, strolling and dining. At the end of the pier sits a restaurant called the "Newport Pier Grill and Sushi." The restaurant has an outdoor patio called the William Wright Terrace which adds 288 square feet (26.8 m2) and can seat up to 28 with a view of the water. At the base of the pier is the Dory Fishing Fleet, a beachside fishing cooperative founded in 1891. Also at the base of the pier is the headquarters of the city fire department's Lifeguard division.
The original wharf at this site was called McFadden Wharf, named for local landowners James and Robert McFadden. It was completed in the winter of 1888-1889, then connected by railroad to the interior in the winter of 1890-1891. It served as a shipping and distribution point for Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties until 1907 and provided the nucleus from which developed the city of Newport Beach.