Newport Arch

Newport Arch is the name given to the remains of a 3rd century Roman gate in the city of Lincoln, Lincolnshire. It is reputedly the oldest arch in the United Kingdom still used by traffic.

Coordinates: 53°14′15″N 0°32′18″W / 53.237411°N 0.538353°W / 53.237411; -0.538353 (Newport Arch)

History

The arch was remodelled and enlarged when the city, then Lindum Colonia, became capital of the province Flavia Caesariensis in the 4th century. It is one of many original Roman arches still open to traffic, other examples being two gates through the city walls of the Roman town of Diocletianopolis (now Hisarya, Bulgaria), as well as numerous examples in Turkey.

As the north gate of the city, it carried the major Roman road Ermine Street northward almost in a straight line to the Humber.

From Romano-British Buildings and Earthworks by John Ward (1911):

Accidents

In 1964 a goods lorry nearly destroyed the arch while attempting to pass under it.

Forty years later, in May 2004, another lorry struck the arch, causing minor damage.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com