Newlyn Art GalleryEdit profile
Coordinates: 50°06′07″N 5°33′04″W / 50.102°N 5.551°W / 50.102; -5.551
Newlyn Art Gallery is a contemporary art gallery located in Newlyn, Cornwall, UK. Opened in 1895, designed by James Hicks of Redruth and financed by John Passmore Edwards the gallery was conceived as a home and exhibition venue for the Newlyn School of Art the works of which are now largely located at Penlee House Gallery and Museum in nearby Penzance. The building is dedicated to the memory of John Opie, a famous Cornish artist; a plaque to the memory of John Opie made from Newlyn Copper now forms part of the building.
In 2006, Newlyn Art Gallery announced a major programme of works including the extension of the current building and the creation of a new art gallery in Penzance, Cornwall known as The Exchange, located on the site of the former Penzance telephone exchange building. The two galleries, designed by MUMA (McInnes Usher McKnight Architects), opened in July 2007. John Pearson was the craftsman who made the four large copper plaques, earth, air, fire and water, that decorate the facade of the Gallery.