Newington College
Newington College is an independent, Uniting Church, day and boarding school for boys, located in Stanmore, an inner-western suburb of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Established in 1863 at Silverwater, Newington is open to boys of all faiths and denominations. The college has two preparatory schools, Wyvern House, in Cambridge Street, Stanmore, and the Preparatory School at Lindfield, on Sydney's Upper North Shore. There is a rowing facility on the Parramatta River at Abbotsford. Newington currently caters for approximately 1,580 students from Kindergarten to Year 12, including 48 boarders from Years 7 to 12. The school is a member of the Association of Heads of Independent Schools of Australia (AHISA), the Junior School Heads Association of Australia (JSHAA), the Australian Boarding Schools' Association, and a founding member of the Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools of New South Wales (AAGPS). The college prepares students for the School Certificate, the Higher School Certificate and the International Baccalaureate.

History
At the Methodist Conference of 1862, the Rev John Manton proposed that a collegiate institute, "decidedly Wesleyan in character", be founded in Sydney. It was expected that the school would "be open to the sons of parents of all religious denominations", and on Thursday 16 July 1863, the Wesleyan Collegiate Institute opened with 16 boys and a small number of theological students. As no suitable buildings were available in Sydney at the time, Newington House, the centrepiece of the 1,200-acre (4.9 km 2) John Blaxland's estate at Silverwater, was leased. Newington College, as the school soon became known, prospered during its time on the Parramatta River and in 1869 was the first Australian school to play rugby football (against the University of Sydney), and soon after was the first school in Australia to hold an athletics carnival. The Newington College Cadet Unit is the oldest corps in the Australian Army Cadets. Expanding student numbers meant that more extensive premises closer to the city were required. A bequest, by John Jones, of land at Stanmore, saw the College move to the newly fashionable inner-city suburbs in 1880. By resolution of the College Council, the name Newington College was perpetuated on the new site, and Newington has remained at Stanmore ever since. Seventy school and theological students migrated from Silverwater to Stanmore, and took residence in the grand stone edifice, designed by Thomas Rowe, that is still the centrepiece of Newington. The architectural historian Morton Herman said of Rowe's design, "the 1881 building is an almost perfect example of scholastic Gothic Revival architecture". A gymnasium was built in 1890, and a swimming pool was opened in 1894. Newington ceased to be a Methodist theological training school in 1915, when Leigh College was founded at Strathfield South. In 1921, a stone War Memorial, designed by Old Newingtonian William Hardy Wilson, was opened in memory of those old boys who had paid the supreme sacrifice in World War I. A separate preparatory school was first opened in 1921, after a bequest by Sir Samuel McCaughey. It became known as "Wyvern House" in 1938, when a new building was opened by Old Newingtonian Sir Percival Halse Rogers. In 1925 a rowing facility was built at Abbotsford, and in 1957 an additional preparatory school was founded on the North Shore - first at Killara, but now at Lindfield. Since the Second World War, the College buildings and facilities have expanded significantly. A new Physical Education Centre, opened by Old Newingtonian Nick Farr-Jones AM, and a new boatshed at Abbotsford are two of the most recent additions. In 1998, Wyvern House moved to a separate campus in Cambridge Street, Stanmore, and the former building was renovated and renamed the Le Couteur Wing.

Recent Events
During 2006, the press reported on an industrial relations dispute at Newington when 40 department heads and housemasters were forced to reapply for their positions in a restructure that would also reduce their holidays. The then Headmaster, David Scott said that "The action was taken after a comprehensive review of the school and had nothing to do with the federal government's Work Choices reforms" David Scott, advised that if senior teachers did not reapply for their current positions they could stay on as classroom teachers or be made redundant. 69 of 70 teachers voted at a union meeting not to apply for 40 senior positions Mr Scott had made available as part of a reorganisation of middle-management at the college. The Sydney Morning Herald reported that David Scott believed that the union was being mischievous "at best", or using an "outright and deliberate lie" in suggesting the restructure was linked to workplace legislation. The dispute was politicised when Greens MLC Lee Rhiannon called on the New South Wales Government to withhold funding from the school because of the plans to force 40 teachers to re-apply for their own jobs. The headmaster said the move has been planned for nearly a year and has rejected suggestions that he is trying to exploit the Government's industrial relations laws. The Greens' Lee Rhiannon said she finds that hard to believe."It's certainly very similar to what WorkChoices allow employers to do," she said. Following a meeting between the Independent Education Union and Newington College, David Scott agreed not to declare senior staff positions vacant and the school continued to negotiate collective arrangements covering salary and working conditions for staff. This maintains the previous arrangement rather than the school's initial proposal to introduce up to four weeks compulsory attendance. Despite the agreement between the Independent Education Union and Newington College, the Sydney Morning Herald quoted anonymous teachers that tensions remain and that the school body had been fractured by the dispute, and there is deep-seated mistrust of Mr Scott and of the College Council's plans. The IEU had asked the Uniting Church, which owns the school, to step in to ensure the school maintains fair employment practices said NSW general secretary, Dick Shearman. The Sydney Morning Herald said that the College has threatened to sue a parent whose company conducted a survey that found 43 per cent of the school's teachers were considering quitting, and just 13 per cent have faith in the headmaster and council. The results showed that found only 35 percent felt they were treated with respect and dignity. Just 6 percent reported high or very high morale, contrasting with 75 per cent who reported low or very low morale. One in three teachers believe they do not have a future at the school. In October 2006, a facilitator was appointed to assist the College through the issues that were generating significant concern amongst the teaching staff. These issues were addressed by a working group established by Council and coordinated by the facilitator in the first three months of 2007. The working group first met on 24 January 2007 and reported to the College Council in April 2007. In September 2008, Newington's end of year "muck-up" day resulted in four students being banned and under police investigation, three students suspended and a further 43 students stopped from attending a graduation function. The reported "rebellion" left a teacher's car and the school hall vandalised. Students blamed the incident on the then Headmaster David Scott's zero-tolerance approach.

College staff

Presidents and Headmasters
From its founding in 1863 until 1900, Newington had a system of dual control with a President (who was an ordained minister) and a Headmaster. As an ordained minister, Charles Prescott assumed both roles on his appointment in 1900 and on his retirement in 1931 the role of President was abolished.

Notable teachers

Campuses
Newington College is situated over three suburban campuses, located in Stanmore and Lindfield:

Secondary school
The secondary campus is located in Stanmore, in Sydney's inner-west. The student body consists of approximately 50 boarders and 1,050 day students from Years 7 to 12. Newington boarders come from country and city, interstate and overseas. Day students are drawn from all over the Sydney greater metropolitan area.

Wyvern House preparatory school
Newington has educated primary school (Kindergarten to Year 6) aged boys since 1863. In 1938 Wyvern House opened in a separate school building on the Stanmore campus and accepted its first students in 1939. Wyvern moved to new premises in Cambridge Street, Stanmore, a few minutes' walk from the secondary school, in 1998. It has approximately 370 students - all day students. There are two classes each in Years K to 4 and three classes in Years 5 to 6. The Head of Wyvern House is Ian Holden

Lindfield preparatory school
The Newington College Preparatory School was established initially at Killara (1957) and later at Lindfield (1967), in response to requests from Old Newingtonians that a preparatory school be established on the North Shore of Sydney. The Head of Newington College, Lindfield, is Chris Wyatt. It is a single-stream school, with approximately 160 students from Kindergarten to Year 6 and is set in a bushland location where the Students are constantly in touch with nature. The school features a basketball/tennis court, climbing gym areas, swimming pool and connects to the bush trails of Swain Gardens. Each classroom includes effective information communication technology tools. Classrooms have dedicated computer and wet areas, and bag storage areas. There are also specialist facilities for music, art and French. There is a tuckshop three days a week. The campus has just undergone a major redevelopment of classrooms and the addition of a new hall, library and visual arts room. Students in Years 3”“6 compete in the Independent Primary School Heads of Australia (IPSHA) Competition held on Saturday mornings. Every student competes in a summer (basketball or cricket) or winter sport (rugby or soccer). Newington's preparatory schools combine for annual carnivals in swimming, athletics and cross country.

War Memorials
The grounds and buildings of Newington College contain numerous war memorials and eight of these are recorded on the New South Wales Government's Register of War Memorials in New South Wales.

Memorial to the Dead 1914-1918
The sandstone Memorial to the Dead was designed by the Old Newingtonian architect William Hardy Wilson and is now sited between the Centenary Hall and the Chapel. It was originally placed in a grove of trees to the north of the Founders Wing but was moved to its present location in the early 1960s to make way for the construction of the Centenary Hall which was opened in 1963. The memorial comprises a semi-circular wall and seat, with pillars surmounted by white stone urns at either end and a column with a sundial stands at the centre. The inscription on the wall reads: 1914 - To Our Beloved Dead - 1918 and the inscription on the sundial reads: Time dims not their sacrifice. The memorial was dedicated on 11 May 1922 by the Governor General of Australia and the Old Newingtonian poet Leslie Holdsworth Allen wrote a poem, To our beloved dead, in memory of the occasion.

Gallipoli Lone Pine Memorial
Commemorating Prisoners of War during World War I, this tree comes from a seedling propagated from a pine cone brought home from Gallipoli by an Australian soldier. The tree stands in a triangular area of grass formed by the merging of the Cowlishaw Drive and the War Memorial Drive. A bronze commemorative plaque on a stone plinth has the following inscription: The Gallipoli Lone Pine - During the 1914-1918 Great War, Australian and New Zealand forces landed at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915 to attack Turkish forces. Eight months later they withdrew. One significant battle occurred on the ridge where a lone pine stood. ANZAC forces finally occupied the Turkish position, but with the tragic loss of 2,227 men. Turkish losses were around 5,000. During the withdrawal from ANZAC Cove, an Australian soldier picked up a pine cone and brought it home, where the seeds were propagated. Since 1933, when the pines became of good size and yielded more seedlings, Legacy arranged for pine trees to be distributed to schools and interested groups to help keep the memory of the Gallipoli Lone Pine alive.

Chapel Memorial Tablets
Twenty four brass plaques were hung in Prescott Hall as memorials to individual Old Newingtonians who died during World War I. Further plaques were added after World War II but they were all removed when the hall was renovated in 1979. They were then placed on the first floor balcony of the War Memorial Classroom Block. They were later placed in the archives collection. In 1995 they were restored and repositioned in the chapel's glass ambulatory overlooking the 1914-1918 Memorial to the Dead.

War Memorial Driveway
In 1936 the War Memorial Drive was planted with 75 poplars, each with a cross at the foot and a plaque honouring individual Old Newingtonians who died during World War II. The trees were replaced by a new avenue of trees in 1966 and the plaques were replaced by a tablet on a plinth with the inscription: Lest We Forget - This plaque was dedicated on 24 September 1966, to mark the planting of trees alongside the War Memorial Drive by the Old Newingtonians' Union to restore those originally planted by the Union on 29 February 1936. By this act Old Newingtonians remember those Old Boys who gave their lives in the service of God, King and Country, and whose names are recorded on the War Memorial of the School. Fifty of the original plaques remain in the archives collection. In 1979 the War Memorial Drive was realigned and replanted and the 1966 plinth was moved to the Millner Gates end of the drive.

Boer War Honour Roll
A bronze tablet recording the names of 44 Old Newingtonians who served in the Boer War hangs in Prescott Hall in the Founders Wing. It is set in a Gothic frame of columns with a plinth and cornice. The inscription reads: Floreat Newingtonia - Erected by Old Boys of Newington College in honour of Newingtonians who fought for the Empire in South Africa 1899-1902. The Memorial was designed by Old Newingtonian architects Henry Budden and William Hardy Wilson and was dedicated on 15 December 1903.

World War I Honour Roll
Over six hundred Old Newingtonians enlisted during World War I and the loss of life was appalling. By wars end, 109 Old Boys had died for God, King and Country. Prior to 1920 the walls of the vestibule at the entrance to the Founders Wing had been hung with sporting teams photographs. In 1921 this space was transformed by the installation of white marble tablets, encased in Queensland maple, upon which were inscribed the names of Old Boys who had served. Those who had made the supreme sacrifice are listed on the central panels below the words: These Nobly Strining, Nobly Fell. With a black and white marble floor and stained glass door panels this space takes on the feel of a small chapel.

World War II Honour Roll
A wall of brass and enamel panels in the Centenary Hall foyer records the names of the 814 Old Newingtonians who served in Australia's armed forces in World War II. The inscription reads: Honour Roll of Old Newingtonians WWII 1939-1945. This honour roll was dedicated on Anzac Day 2009 by Old Newingtonian Major General Sandy Pearson AO DSO OBE MC and replaces a roll in the same position that was unveiled by Sir William Morrow DSO ED in 1966.

Post-World War II Honour Roll
This wooden honour board records the names of 45 Old Newingtonians who served in Australia's armed forces in conflicts post-World War II and is on the southern wall of the Centenary Hall foyer. It is inscribed: In every generation good men must defend what they believe to be right and Newington remembers with pride her sons who served their sovereign and country in the cause of liberty in international conflicts from 1948 to 1973. It commemorates service in the Korean War, Malayan Emergency, Malaysian-Indonesian Confrontation and Vietnam War.

Curriculum
The school teaches the core curriculum outlined by the NSW Board of Studies (BOS) between Kindergarten and Year 8. In addition to this curriculum, the students study one major language other than English. From Years 9 to 12, students adhere to the Board of Studies curriculum standards that all NSW schools follow. Newington became an IB World School in May 2007, and from 2008 has offered the International Baccalaureate (IB) to Year 11 students, as an alternative to the Higher School Certificate (HSC).

Co-curriculum
Newington students may participate in the following co-curricular activities:
  • Cadets - The Newington College Cadet Corps (now Unit) was founded in 1869 and pre-dates the Australian Army. Activities include abseiling, archery, bushcraft, canoeing, drill, first aid, lifesaving, mapping, orienteering and radio operation. There is also a service band and service orchestra.
  • Newington Challenge - The scheme teaches the skills needed to survive in the bush including first aid, orienteering and camp craft. Year 10 there are activities including: archery, self defence and indoor climbing. There are also two camps per year.
  • The Duke of Edinburgh's Award - This scheme is offered either as a stand alone activity, as part of cadets or Newington Challenge.
  • Music - Founders Concert is Newington's major music performance annually and joint choral concerts are held with MLC School. The Symphonic Winds group compete in public festivals and challenges and the Chapel Choir provide music year long at house services and evensong. All group participate in the GPS Music Festival.
  • Sport - Newington is one of the nine members of the Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools of New South Wales (GPS) and participates in all GPS sporting competitions as well as several non-GPS or traditional sports. Newington students may participate in a variety of sports including: Athletics, Basketball, Cricket, Cross Country, Fencing, Judo, Rowing, Rugby Union, Small Bore Rifle Shooting, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball and Water Polo.


Alumni

Old Newingtonians' Union
The Old Newingtonians' Union is the alumni association of Newington College. It was founded in 1895, with the Newington College President, Rev Dr James Egan Moulton, as its inaugural President and Sir Thomas Bavin as Secretary. The aims of the Union, as stated in its constitution, are to: "strengthen the bonds between Old Newingtonians and between Old Newingtonians and the College; foster and develop active participation in, and support of, the affairs of the College and of the Union; support and promote the Newington Foundation and the Old Newingtonians' Union Centennial Trust; organise and carry out social functions in pursuance of the objects of the Union; promote the interests and welfare of the College in all its aspects; commemorate those Old Newingtonians who have given their lives in the service of their country; and provide club facilities for members of the Union either solely or in conjunction with other clubs, unions or associations of ex-students of other schools". A bi-annual publication, Newington Wyvern is sent to all old boys whose current addresses are known to the Union. The Union previously published directories of Old Newingtonians at five yearly intervals but that publication has been superseded by an on-line directory. Affiliated organisations of the Union are: Wyvern Cricket Club, playing in the Sydney Suburban Competition; Lodge Wyvern, a Masonic Lodge; and The 70 Club, a luncheon club for senior Old boys. The Old Newingtonians' Union is a member of the GPS Old Boys Unions' Council.

ONU Presidents
Presidents of the Union are now normally elected for two one-year terms and are supported by a council. The council is made up of a treasurer, a secretary and assistant, councillors, metropolitan vice-presidents, regional vice-presidents and past presidents. During the Centenary of Newington College Sir Keith Jones was Presidemt of the Union (1963 & 1964) and in the Centenary year of the Union His Honour Judge Fred Kirkham was President (1995 & 1996). The current Chairman of Newington College Council, The Hon. Justice Angus Talbot, has also served as President (1997 & 1998). Other notable Presidents of the union include: The Hon. Samuel Moore MLA (1896, 1898, 1904 & 1916); Arthur Lucas (1897); Dr Cecil Purser (1899); Dr George Abbott (1901); The Hon. William Robson MLC (1902 & 1905); Percy Colquhoun MLA (1918 & 1919); Henry Budden CBE (1920); Lt Col Alfred Warden VD (1923 & 1924); Carl Glasgow MLA (1929 & 1930); Col Tom Millner MC VD (1937, 1938, 1945 & 1946); Garth Barraclough OBE (1948 & 1949); The Hon. Richard Thompson MLC (1952 & 1954); Alex Rigby AM ED (1959 & 1960); and Dr Roger Davidson (1972 & 1973). The current President is James Jordan.

Notable Old Newingtonians
Alumnus of Newington College are commonly referred to as 'Old Boys' or 'Old Newingtonians', and may elect to join the schools alumni association, the Old Newingtonians' Union. For a list of notable Old Newingtonians', see List of Old Newingtonians .

President Years Education Other positions held Rev John Manton 1863”“1864 Founding Principal Horton College, Tasmania Rev Joseph Horner Fletcher 1865”“1887 Kingswood School Founding Principal Wesley College, Auckland Rev Dr William Kelynack 1887”“1891 Penzance President Australasian Wesleyan Methodist Church Rev James Egan Moulton 1891”“1900 Kingswood School Founding Headmaster Tupou College, Tonga Rev Dr Charles Prescott 1900”“1931 Kingswood School Worcester College, Oxford Founding Headmaster Wesleyan Ladies College, Sydney Headmaster Years Education Other positions held Rev James Egan Moulton 1863 Kingswood School Founding Headmaster Tupou College, Tonga Thomas Johnston 1864”“1866 George Metcalfe 1867”“1869 Proprietor and Headmaster Goulburn High School Founding Headmaster Druitt Town School Dr Michael Howe 1869”“1877 Trinity College, Dublin Founding Headmaster Galt Grammar School Headmaster Jarvis Collegiate Institute, Toronto Professor of Classics University of Toronto Joseph Coates 1877”“1883 Huddersfield College Founding Headmaster Sydney Boys' High School William Williams 1884”“1892 Newark Grammar School Trinity College, Cambridge Professor of Classics & English Literature University of Tasmania Arthur Lucas 1893”“1898 Kingswood School Balliol College, Oxford Headmaster Sydney Grammar School Professor of Mathematics University of Tasmania Edward William Cornwall 1899 Keble College, Oxford Rev Dr Charles Prescott 1900”“1931 Kingswood School Worcester College, Oxford Founding Headmaster Wesleyan Ladies College, Sydney Philip Le Couteur 1931”“1948 Queen's College, University of Melbourne University College, Oxford University of Bonn, Germany Headmaster Methodist Ladies' College, Melbourne & Hale School, Perth Mervyn Austin 1950”“1951 Melbourne Grammar School University of Melbourne Christ Church, Oxford Professor of Classics and Ancient History University of Western Australia Laurence Pyke 1952”“1960 Wesley College, Melbourne University of Melbourne University of Oxford Dean of Graduate Studies University of Melbourne Dr Ernest Duncan 1962 University of Otago Columbia University Professor of Mathematics Rutgers University Rev Douglas Trathen 1963”“1970 Canterbury Boys' High School University of Sydney Headmaster Wolaroi College, Orange Tony Rae 1972”“1993 The Scots College, Sydney University of Sydney Headmaster Albury Grammar School Michael Smee 1993”“2003 The King's School, Sydney University of Sydney Headmaster Pulteney Grammar School, Adelaide David Scott 2003”“2009 University of Western Australia Murdoch University Edith Cowan University Headmaster Kingswood College, Melbourne & Anglican Church Grammar School, Brisbane Dr David Mulford 2009”“present Principal Radford College, Canberra Headmaster Blue Mountains Grammar School Staff Member Staff Years Position held Notability Richard Thomas Baker 1880”“1887 Science & Art Master Curator of the Sydney Technological Museum, Botanist and Clarke Medallist Herb Barker 1966”“1994 Physical Education Teacher Wallaby, Empire Games field athlete, and played basketball for New South Wales Sir Thomas Bavin KCMG 1891”“1892 Student Teacher Premier of New South Wales New South Wales Supreme Court Judge Paul Delprat 1967”“1970 Art Master Artist and Principal of The Julian Ashton Art School Joseph James Fletcher 1882”“1885 Science Teacher Biologist, Clarke Medallist and director and librarian of the Linnean Society of New South Wales Gary Knoke 1974”“1980 Physical Education Teacher Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games track athlete Antonio Dattilo Rubbo 1898-c1930 Art Teacher Artist and art educator John Waterhouse 1974-1883 Student Teacher Assistant Master Headmaster Sydney Boys' High School and Maitland High School Frank S. Williamson 1894”“1901 English Teacher Poet and wrote the words for Dear Newingtonia

Media

2 photos