Newcastle Cathedral
For the Catholic Cathedral in Newcastle, see St Mary's Cathedral St Nicholas's Cathedral is a Church of England cathedral in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. Its full title is The Cathedral Church of St Nicholas Newcastle upon Tyne. It is the seat of the Bishop of Newcastle and is the mother church of the Diocese of Newcastle, the most northerly diocese of the Anglican Church in England, which reaches from the River Tyne as far north as Berwick-upon-Tweed and as far west as Alston in Cumbria. Newcastle Cathedral is the second tallest religious building in Newcastle and the sixth tallest structure in the city overall.

The cathedral is named for St Nicholas, the patron saint of sailors and boats. It was originally a parish church, built in 1091, but this was destroyed in a fire in 1216. It was rebuilt in 1359 and became a cathedral in 1882 when the Diocese of Newcastle was created by Queen Victoria. The cathedral is notable for its unusual lantern spire, which was constructed in 1448. For hundreds of years, it was a main navigation point for ships using the River Tyne. At its base the tower measures 36' 9" by 35' and it is 196' 6" from the base to the top of the steeple. The interior of the church was badly damaged by Scottish invaders during their brief occupation of the city in 1640, and in 1644, during a nine-week siege, Scottish invaders threatened to bombard the lantern tower, but were deterred when Scottish prisoners were placed inside. The tower contains a complete ring of twelve bells, the tenor bell which weighs almost two tons, plus three 15th century bells, one, St Nicholas, which is rung for daily services. The addition of a second treble bell (named "Gabriel") in 1999 has made it possible to ring a lighter peal of ten bells.

Notable interior features
The Nave furnishings were designed by the local artist and craftsman Ralph Hedley in the early 20th century, after the parish church of St Nicholas became a cathedral in 1882. The high altar depicts Christ in Majesty holding an orb and sceptre, flanked by the Four Evangelists each with their special symbol. St. Margaret's Chapel contains the only known fragment of mediaeval stained glass in the cathedral, a roundel of the Madonna and Child. Much of the original glass was broken during the Civil War and most now dates from the 18th century onwards. The cathedral contains a number of memorials, the oldest being a 13th century effigy of an unknown knight, probably a member of the household of Edward I. It is one of the oldest objects in the cathedral. Another celebrates Admiral Lord Collingwood, a hero of the Battle of Trafalgar who was baptised and married in the cathedral. Another is the "Thornton Brass", a memorial to Roger Thornton, who was a merchant and three times Mayor of Newcastle, which is a particularly fine example of a Flemish Brass and dates from 1441.

The cathedral has a strong tradition of music. In 1503, Princess Margaret, daughter of Henry VII and engaged to marry James IV of Scotland, passed through Newcastle, noting in her journal a number of children in surplices "who sang melodious hymns, accompanying themselves with instruments of many sorts". Later, the baroque composer Charles Avison (1709”“1770) was organist and choirmaster at the church. The cathedral choir has been featured on BBC Radio 3's Choral Evensong , performed with the Northern Sinfonia at The Sage Gateshead and sung in concert with the Mediæval Bæbes. They have also recorded a number of CDs. The cathedral is home to a fine organ, a four-manual Grand Organ built by T C Lewis , although rebuilt several times since, notably by Harrison & Harrison in 1911 and 1954 and currently by Nicholson & Co. of Worcester.

  • 1687 Samuel Nichols
  • 1719
  • 1736 Charles Avison
  • 1770 Edward Avison
  • 1776
  • 1789 Charles Avison Jnr
  • 1795 Thomas Thompson
  • 1834 Dr Thomas Ions
  • 1857 William Ions
  • 1894 George Huntley
  • 1895 John Jeffries
  • 1918 William Ellis
  • 1936 Kenneth Malcolmson
  • 1955 Colin Ross
  • 1967 Dr. Russell Missin
  • 1987 Timothy Hone
  • 2002 Scott Farrell
  • 2009 Michael Stoddart

Assistant organists
  • Thomas Christy 1928 - 1933 (afterwards organist of Hexham Abbey)
  • Clifford Harker 1936 - (afterwards organist at Bristol Cathedral 1949-83)
  • Michael Bryan Hesford 1959 - 1960 (afterwards organist at Brecon Cathedral)
  • Graeme East 1960 - 1980 (afterwards Organist St Chad's Gateshead then Warnham Parish Church. d.2010
  • Keith Downie (Lay Clerk and sub-Assistant 1972-1984 & 1984-1988) Assistant 1980 - 1984: now St Helen's Gateshead
  • Michael Dutton from 1984”“2009

Director of the Girls Choir and Sub-Organist
  • David Stevens (2010 - )