New York State Psychiatric InstituteEdit profile
The New York State Psychiatric Institute, established in 1895 and located on Riverside Drive at the foot of Washington Heights, the far upper west side of Manhattan in New York City, was one of the first institutions in the United States to integrate teaching, research and therapeutic approaches to the care of patients with mental illnesses.
In 1925, the Psychiatric Institute affiliated with Presbyterian Hospital, adding general hospital facilities to the Institute's psychiatric services and research laboratories. Currently, it is part of Columbia University Medical Center.
Through the years, distinguished figures in American psychiatry have served as directors of the Psychiatric Institute, including Drs. Ira Van Gieson, Adolph Meyer, August Hoch, Lawrence Kolb, Edward Sachar and Herbert Pardes.
The current director is Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman.