New York State ArmoryEdit profile
The New York State Armory in Poughkeepsie is located at the junction of Church (eastbound US 44/NY 55) and Market streets downtown, across from the Old YMCA. It is a Romanesque building designed by Isaac G. Perry, then the New York State Architect. It is currently home to the Company A, 101st Signal Battalion of the New York Army National Guard.
It is a two-and-a-half-story structure made of brick and rusticated sandstone, visible to traffic entering Poughkeepsie from the west via the Mid-Hudson Bridge. Its interior features, such as oak lockers, staircases and floors, are well-preserved. It also retains the original pressed metal ceilings and light fixtures.
Governor David Hill attended the cornerstone laying on Memorial Day (then called Decoration Day) in 1891, and spoke of the importance of maintaining state-level military facilities and the respectability conferred by service in the Guard. The armory was completed the following year.
Troops were later deployed from here to the Spanish-American War and both 20th-century world wars. It has also been host to a variety of events from basketball tournaments to birthday parties for Franklin D. Roosevelt, a resident of nearby Hyde Park.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. In 2011 the National Guard moved the remaining 200 soldiers stationed there to Camp Smith down the Hudson River near Peekskill. The future of the armory is unknown. The city has offered to buy it but is not sure if it can absorb the maintenance costs.