New Mexico State Capitol
The New Mexico State Capitol (also called the Roundhouse), located in Santa Fe, New Mexico, is the seat of government of the U.S. state of New Mexico. It is the only round state capitol in the United States. The building was designed to resemble the Zia Sun Symbol when viewed from above, with four entrance wings that protrude from the main cylindrical volume. Architecturally, the Capitol is a blend of New Mexico territorial style and neoclassical influences. Above each entrance is a stone carving of the State Seal of New Mexico. The building has four levels, one of which is below ground. Dedicated on December 8, 1966, the building was designed by W.C. Kruger and constructed by Robert E. McKee. Its extensive marble-work was installed by the New Mexico Marble and Tile Company. The capital contains 232,346 square feet (22,000 m²) and was built for the cost of $4,676,860, or $20 per square foot ($215/m²). The capitol houses the New Mexico State Legislature. The first floor (below ground) contains the semicircular House and Senate chambers, which are not accessible to the public. The second story, which is technically the ground floor, includes galleries where visitors can view the House and Senate chambers. The House gallery seats 281 and is located on the south side of the building. The Senate gallery, which seats 206, is on the north side of the building. The two upper floors are mainly offices, with legislative committee offices on the third floor and the offices of the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, and legislative Council Service on the fourth floor. The Rotunda in the center of the building is 49 feet (15 m) in diameter and 60 feet (18 m) high, spanning the second, third, and fourth floors. The Rotunda is finished with Travertine marble native to New Mexico and inlaid with a turquoise and brass mosaic of the Great Seal of New Mexico. The ceiling skylight is designed to resemble an Indian basket weave, with blue and pale pink stained glass representing the sky and the earth, respectively. The flags of New Mexico’s 33 counties are on permanent display on the fourth floor balcony. Surrounding the capitol is a lush 6.5 acre (26,000 m²) garden boasting more than 100 varieties of plants, including roses, plums, almonds, nectarines, Russian olive trees, and sequoias. Statues of native Pueblo peoples carrying pottery and hunting dot the property. A renovation in 1992 included expansion of the committee rooms, asbestos abatement, mechanical and electrical improvements and handicapped barrier removal. The building was rededicated on December 4, 1992.

Capitol Art Foundation
The Legislature created the Capitol Art Foundation in 1991, which has since become one of the building's most endearing features. The Foundation was created to assist in the acquisition of art for permanent, public exhibition in the State Capitol. The Collection features contemporary masterworks by artists who live and work in New Mexico. The Capitol Art collection is housed throughout the public areas of the building on all four floors. The Collection consists of a wide range of media, styles and traditions, including handcrafted furniture groupings. The mission of the Capitol Art Foundation is to collect, preserve, exhibit, interpret and promote appreciation of works of art that reflect the rich and diverse history, cultures and art forms of the people of New Mexico.

Previous capitol buildings
The Roundhouse is the fourth Capitol building of New Mexico. The state boasts not only the third-newest capitol in the U.S. (only those in Hawaii and Florida, completed in 1969 and 1978, respectively, are newer) but also the oldest, the Palace of the Governors.

Palace of the Governors
Built in 1610 by the Spanish, the Palace of the Governors is located on the Santa Fe Plaza, at the very heart of the city. It was the seat of government in Santa Fe for nearly three centuries, during periods of Spanish and Mexican rule. When New Mexico was annexed by the United States in 1846, it became the first territorial capitol. It served in this role for forty years. Now a history museum, the Palace is the only capitol in the U.S. that has housed the governments of three different nations.

1850 Capitol (federal courthouse)
In anticipation of New Mexico's statehood, work began on a new capitol building in 1850. However, the funding for its construction was quickly exhausted, and in 1855 work on the project was halted with only the first story of the building completed. It remained in this state until 1886, when the second story and roof were finally finished. However, by this time a new territorial capitol was already under construction, so the old building ended up never officially serving as capitol. (It did temporarily house the territorial government between 1892 and 1900.) Instead, it became the Territorial (later Federal) Courthouse. This building still stands in its original form.

1886 Capitol
In 1886, a new building replaced the antiquated Palace of the Governors as the territorial capitol. Four stories high, the monumental building was topped by colossal bronze statues representing Liberty, Justice, Commerce and Industry. Many New Mexicans, particularly Santa Feans, disliked the new building. It was audacious and Victorian, it cost six times more than predicted, and it simply did not fit with the landscape. Six years after its opening, on the night of May 12, 1892, a mysterious fire broke out, completely destroying the structure. The great dislike of the building caused many to suspect arson, but the investigation turned up nothing.

1900 Capitol (Bataan Memorial Building)
The next capitol building was not completed until 1900. In the meantime, the government worked out of the Territorial Court House, and the adjoining judicial offices. The new Capitol was, as demanded by Santa Feans after the last one's unbearable price, completed for the incredibly low cost of just $140,000, and was a simple three story, silver domed structure. It served in that style for another fifty years, including when, at 1:35 P.M., January 6, 1912, President William Taft signed within its walls the proclamation admitting New Mexico as the 47th state in the Union. He then turned to the delegation and said, "Well, it is all over. I am glad to give you life. I hope you will be healthy." Over the intervening years before the Roundhouse was commissioned, various additions were built adjacent to the capitol building and, in 1950, a major project got underway to unify the architectural appearance of all the buildings in the complex to the territorial style. The dome, which had often been criticized as not in the spirit of the state, was removed and a 105-foot (32 m) tower was added at the north end of the building. The building is now known as the Bataan Memorial Building, and houses numerous offices for the State Government. The old capitol is almost entirely obscured by the later additions, but its third-story arched windows are still recognizable.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com