New Jersey Historical Society
The New Jersey Historical Society is a historical society and museum located in Newark, New Jersey, United States. It was founded in 1845 at Trenton by intellectual and business leaders of New Jersey, most prominently Joseph C. Hornblower, Peter D. Vroom and William Whitehead. The Society was first located in Newark on Market Street. In 1931 it left downtown for a large colonial-style building partially paid for by Louis Bamberger in Broadway, east of Branch Brook Park. In 1997 the Historical Society returned to downtown, to 52 Park Place, on Military Park. The new home is a Georgian building vacated by the Essex Club. Designed by Guilbert & Betelle. The building was built in 1926 and had been added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 22, 1991. In its first year in the downtown location visits increased almost fivefold. The Historical Society's library is housed in the old squash courts of the Essex Club. It has two floors of exhibition space, a gift shop, and a hall for lectures. The NJHS offers occasional Newark walking tours. The Society publishes the academic journal, New Jersey History. The third floor is a permanent exhibition on New Jersey's natural resources. The second floor has rotating exhibits. Admission is free, but a donation is requested. As of 17 February 2009 the Society is no longer open to members of the public without an appointment. The current president and CEO is Linda Epps.

Media

1 photo

Building Activity