New Hampshire State House
The New Hampshire State House is the state capitol building of New Hampshire, located in Concord at 107 North Main Street. The capitol houses the New Hampshire General Court, Governor and Executive Council. The building was constructed on a block framed by Park Street (named in honor of the architect) to the north, Main Street to the east, Capitol Street to the south, and North State Street to the west.

The current statehouse was designed in 1814 with the costs paid by the City of Concord. The building was built from 1816-1819 by architect Stuart James Park. The building was built in the Greek Revival style with smooth granite blocks. The entrance is covered by a small projecting portico supported by Corinthian columns. The balcony above is lined with a balustrade separated by Corinthian columns supporting a pediment. Another balustrade lines the edge of the flat roof. The windows on the first floor are rectangular in shape, the second floor are arched and the third floor are square panels. An octagonal drum with large arched windows supports a golden dome with bull's-eye windows and supporting a small lantern. A statue of a huge gold-painted wooden war eagle looking to the left was raised in 1818. In 1957, it was replaced with an element-proof peace eagle statue looking to the right, with the original eagle given to the New Hampshire Historical Society.

The grounds
The capitol grounds occupy 2.6 acres (11,000 m 2) and are enclosed by a granite fence. No gate impedes the flow of visitors, as this is "the people's house." Several statues dot the yard, including Daniel Webster, General John Stark, John P. Hale, and Franklin Pierce, the only President from New Hampshire. On the State Street side of the building, a monument to George H. Perkins by sculptor Daniel Chester French and architect Henry Bacon was erected on the grounds in 1902.

Doric Hall
The main entrance opens into the Doric Hall (renamed the Hall of Flags). The hall is designed after Bulfinch's design for the Massachusetts State House. The halls holds 107 battle flags for New Hampshire representing the Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, and the Vietnam War.

Senate Chamber
The Senate Chamber is located in the northeast corner of the capitol. It houses the 24-member chamber. Large arched windows light the chamber. Behind the rostrum are large murals arched to mirror the windows and depicting events in the state's history. The mural to the left depicts the first commencement at Dartmouth College, next is Daniel Webster reading the United States Constitution, after that is Abbott Thayer teaching his art class, and the last is John Stark preparing for battle in the Revolution. The murals were painted by Barry Faulkner in 1942. Large curved tables surround the rostrum and are replicas of originals.

House Chamber
The House Chamber houses the largest state legislative body in the United States with 400 members. Large arched windows line the walls. The rostrum hangs portraits of John P. Hale, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Franklin Pierce, and Daniel Webster.

See also: Capitol Historical Marker The first session of the General Court began in 1819. The State House is the oldest state capitol in which the legislature meets in its original chambers. In 1814, discussion began about erecting a suitable building for the state capitol. The General Court debated three locations: Concord, Hopkinton, and Salisbury, which offered $7,000 to be the capital. The legislature picked Concord as the location in 1816. Granite used to build the capitol came from the present day Swenson quarries; the cutting, shaping and facing of the stone was performed by inmates of the State Prison. The prison building was also constructed by Stuart Park. The cost of construction for the capitol was $82,000. The building was designed and built to house the General Court, its committees, the Governor and Council, the Secretary of State, the State Treasurer, and the State Library. During Meldrim Thomson, Jr.'s governorship the lights that shone on the State House's golden dome at night were turned off. This caused a lot of controversy because the illuminated dome had served as a symbol of Concord for many years. With the help of several prominent New Hampshire legislators including Mary Louise Hancock, the lights were turned back on during the first days of Hugh Gallen's first term as governor.