Nectar Covered Bridge

The Nectar Covered Bridge was a county owned wood & metal combination style covered bridge which spanned the Locust Fork of the Black Warrior River in Blount County, Alabama, United States. It was located on Nectar Bridge Road off State Route 160 just east of the town of Nectar, about 14 miles (16 kilometers) northwest of Oneonta. Coordinates are 33°57′22.45″N 86°37′34.17″W / 33.9562361°N 86.6261583°W / 33.9562361; -86.6261583 (33.956236, -86.626158).

Built in 1932, the 385-foot (117-meter) bridge was a Town Lattice truss construction over four spans. Its WGCB number is 01-05-04. The Nectar Covered Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 20, 1981. It was the second longest covered bridge built in Blount County to the latter constructed 432-foot (132-meter) Standridge Covered Bridge near Hayden which burned down in 1967. At one time, the Nectar Covered Bridge was the seventh longest covered bridge in the country. The bridge remained open to single lane motor traffic from its construction until it was burned by vandals on June 13, 1993. It was maintained by the Blount County Commission and the Alabama Department of Transportation.

History

The Nectar Covered Bridge was built by a crew led by Zelmer C. Tidwell and uncle Forrest Tidwell over a wide section of the Locust Fork. It was once a community meeting place and a site for large baptism ceremonies. A concrete bridge has since replaced the former covered bridge, but the old stone piers remain across the river...located south of the current crossover. During its existence, the Nectar Covered Bridge was said to have been haunted by the ghost of a mail carrier who had died there.