National Maritime Museum of IrelandEdit profile
The National Maritime Museum of Ireland ( Irish: Músaem Mhuirí Náisiúnta na hÉireann) opened in 1978 in the former Old Mariners' Church in Haigh Terrace, near the centre of Dún Laoghaire town, southeast of Dublin city. The church was built in 1837 for seafarers and remained open until 1971. In 1974 the Church of Ireland and the Maritime Institute of Ireland signed an agreement that led to the museum's opening. Popular exhibits include:
- The Irish Lights: this exhibit is dominated by the Baily Optic from the Baily Lighthouse on Howth Head, this was in use from 1902 to 1972. It includes some inventions of John Richardson Wigham.
- The Great Eastern display: a history of the SS Great Eastern designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel including items belonging to its captain Robert Halpin and a clockwork model of the ship.
- RMS Leinster was sunk by torpedoed off the Kish, within sight of Dún Laoghaire. Over 500 people were drowned. There are mirror-backed half- models of the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company's ships: RMS Ulster, RMS Leinster, RMS Munster and RMS Connaught. There are some artefacts recovered from the wreck, and some contemporary accounts of the event.
- St Columba's Chapel. This area remembers Irish Ships during the war. There is a collection of paintings by Kenneth King. The bullet-holed flag of the MV Kerlogue.