Nathaniel Russell HouseEdit profile
The Nathaniel Russell House is a historic house located in downtown Charleston, South Carolina near High Battery. It belonged to Nathaniel Russell, a Rhode Island merchant, who spent $80,000 on this Adamesque building before 1809. He and his wife, Sarah Russell, lived in the house during the early 19th century. It was sold to the state in 1955 by the Pelzer family, and today is used by the Historic Charleston Foundation as offices and also for tours. It is currently a museum open for tours. The house is widely recognized as one of America's most important Neoclassical houses and features three important geometric designs: a front rectangular room, a center oval room, and a square room in the rear. Other rooms of the house include: the turquoise-color First-Floor Oval Dining Room; the Second-Floor Drawing Room, where the women of the house retired to after dinner; and the Withdrawing Room. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973. An interesting fact is that the house has an elliptical spiral staircase, which ascends three floors. In addition, iron balconies surround the house, however not being interconnected. The house also has a large adjoining garden. Standing in the front garden, a green lawn can be seen behind which stands an arbor bench. The Adamesque ornamentation of the fireplaces' mantles and cornices are among the most detailed in the city. Much of the art displayed throughout the Nathaniel Russell House are of Charleston origin. According to the South Carolina Department of Archives and History, the "interior detail has all the delicacy and intricate ambition of the American version of the Adam manner."
Town Charleston, South Carolina Country United States Client Nathaniel Russell Started 1809 Cost 80,000 dollars Architect Unknown