Nathan Appleton ResidenceEdit profile
The Nathan Appleton Residence, also known as the Appleton-Parker House, is a historic house located at 39-40 Beacon Street, Boston, Massachusetts. It is now a National Historic Landmark.History
The property here had been owned by painter John Singleton Copley and much of the land had been purchased by Dr. John Joy, who headed a real estate company. In 1819, Nathan Appleton and hotel owner Daniel P. Parker bought a home that had been standing on the property and tore it down. They then had the twin house built, designed by architect Alexander Parris and numbered 39 and 40 Beacon Street. In 1843 Appleton's daughter Frances (Fanny) was married in this house to poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
From 1914 to the 1990s it housed the Women's City Club of Boston. It is currently privately owned.