Muzeum Śląska CieszyńskiegoEdit profile
Coordinates: 49°44′52″N 18°38′02″E / 49.7479°N 18.6339°E / 49.7479; 18.6339
The Muzeum Śląska Cieszyńskiego (Museum of Cieszyn Silesia) is a museum in the town of Cieszyn, Silesian Voivodeship, Poland. It was founded in 1802 by Leopold Szersznik, a Jesuit priest, and is one of the oldest public museums in Poland. The museum focuses on the history and traditions of Silesia, especially the region of Cieszyn Silesia.
The museum is located in the Pałac Laryszów (Larisch Palace), built in 1794.
It is divided in the following sections:
- archaeology: Materials from excavation research on the castle mountain in Cieszyn and in the town centers of Międzyświeć and Bielsko
- ethnography: instruments and objects of daily applications, embroideries, lace and silver decorations of people's apparels, oil paintings, trówły etc.
- photography: both old photographic instruments and old photographes as well as transparencies
There are also temporary exhibitions.
The exposition is grouped in exactly the same way as the founder, Leopold Szersznik, left it, resembling a cabinet of curiosities. The interiors are restored to their original style and there is a room which is decorated with arcadian landscapes and cherubs riding on goatback. The stable was built by then owner Filip Saint-Genois d'Anneaucourt in 1831 and is now the museum café.
The museum has regional branches in Górki Wielkie, Skoczów and Wisła and cooperates with Książnica Cieszyńska in Cieszyn and Muzeum Těšínska in Český Těšín, the Czech part of the town.