Musée de la Chasse et de la NatureEdit profile
In 1967, ‘la Maison de la Chasse et de la Nature’, a museum devoted to hunting and nature, opened to the public in the Hotel Génégaud des Brosses. The latter was built in 1651-1653 by François Mansart and is one of the most prestigious private mansions in the Parisian neighbourhood of the ‘Marais’. Since its opening, the museum has been wishing for extension – something that was made possible by the acquisition in 2002 of the adjoining Hotel de Mongelas (1704-1705). After historical and structural studies, the chosen architectural strategy was a restoration of the Hotel de Mongelas in a state close to its 1705-configuration. The original interior organization had disappeared, and this vacancy allowed an imaginative re-organization of the space following the programme of the museum, which was defined by the Curator as a stroll through the house of an amateur. The architectural composition emphasizes the principle of an interior life, through the combination of interior paths around the courtyard - the space on which the Hotel focuses - and a network of vertical relations by the creation of a string-walled main staircase between an auditorium located under the courtyard and the different floors. Indeed, uncommon perspectives are offered by punctual connections between both hotels. The museographic project dramatizes the relationship between man and animal through the staging of interior sceneries. The setting of the rooms, which follows the traditional seventeenth and eighteenth-principle of wooden framed panelling, can be as easily removed as a theatrical practicable. The Hotel de Mongelas, yesterday a carcass deformed by numerous parasites, has re-appeared from the past. Its exemplary restoration has brought to light a modest and sober but highly elegant architecture, allowing for an adequate re-use of the museum.