Musée du LuxembourgEdit profile
Musée du Luxembourg is a museum in Paris, France. It occupies the east wing of the Palais du Luxembourg, whose matching west wing originally housed Ruben's Marie de' Medici cycle. Since 2000 it has been run by the French Ministry of Culture and the Senate and is devoted to temporary exhibitions.
From 1750 to 1780 it was the first public painting gallery in Paris, displaying the king's collection which included Titian's The Madonna of the Rabbit Da Vinci's Holy Family (either The Virgin and Child with St. Anne or Virgin of the Rocks) and nearly a hundred other old masters now forming the nucleus of the Louvre. In 1803 it reopened, showing paintings by a range of artists from Nicolas Poussin to Jacques-Louis David, and has been devoted to living artists ever since. Much of the work first shown here has found its way into other museums of Paris including the Jeu de Paume, the Orangerie, and ultimately the and the Musée d'Orsay.History
- In 1861, James Tissot showed The Meeting of Faust and Marguerite, which was purchased by the state for the Luxembourg Gallery.
- The illustrator André Gill (1840-1885) was named curator of the Musée du Luxembourg on May 15, 1871, in which capacity he reassembled the scattered collections of art and reestablished the museum of sculpture. He had scarcely begun his work when it was interrupted by the upheaval associated with the Paris Commune.
- When Ernest Hemingway paid a call on Gertude Stein at the nearby Rue de Fleurus, he stopped to see the impressionists which in 1921 were still in the Musée du Luxembourg.
- (French) Les Grands du Dessin de Press: André Gill (1840-1885) "Quand ouvrira-t-on des maisons pour imbeciles?"