Mt. Carmel MonasteryEdit profile
The Mt. Carmel Monastery is a historic house located at Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland, United States. It is a two-part frame house, the main block of which was built about 1790 and restored in 1936-37, and consists of a two-story structure with a moderately pitched gable roof. The entire house, devoid of any extraneous ornamentation, reflects the austerity of the life of the Carmelite nuns who are believed to have used this house as their residence. The monastery was founded on October 15, 1790, by four Belgian Carmelite nuns, three of them former natives of Charles County. In 1831 the nuns then in residence were ordered to transfer the convent to Baltimore, Maryland, and this property was abandoned. In 1933 an organization called the Restorers of Mt. Carmel in Maryland, formed to aid in the restoration of the site.
The Mt. Carmel Monastery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.