Mrs Macquarie's ChairEdit profile
Mrs Macquarie's Chair (also incorrectly called Lady Macquarie's Chair) is an exposed sandstone rock cut into the shape of a bench, on a peninsula in Sydney Harbour, hand carved by convicts from sandstone in 1810 for Governor Macquarie's wife Elizabeth. The peninsula itself is named Mrs Macquaries Point. It is part of the Royal Botanic Gardens, at the end of Mrs Macquaries Road.
Mrs Macquarie was the wife of Major-General Lachlan Macquarie, Governor of New South Wales from 1810 to 1821. Folklore has it that she used to sit on the rock and watch for ships from Great Britain sailing into the harbour. She was known to visit the area and sit enjoying the panoramic views of the harbour.
The peninsula sits between the Garden Island peninsula to the east and Bennelong Point (where the Sydney Opera House resides) to the west. The chair itself faces north-east towards Fort Denison and the Pacific Ocean. The area around it on Mrs Macquaries Point is a popular lookout position for the view to the north-west of the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Coordinates: 33°51′34.08″S 151°13′19.93″E / 33.8594667°S 151.2222028°E / -33.8594667; 151.2222028