Mount Hope is located at 1 Cheverly Circle in the town of Cheverly, Prince George's County, Maryland. The house is a two-story, five-bay frame house built in two stages. The three-bay west half was built in about 1839, and the two-bay addition to the east in the 1860s. A one-story kitchen wing appears to date from the 1830s as well.
The home was owned by Fielder Magruder, Jr., member of the prominent Magruder family who first settled in Maryland in 1652. Part of the house sits on the stone foundations of an earlier structure, and a possibly ca. 1800 outbuilding also remains on the property. The town of Cheverly occupies much of the original 716-acre (2.90 km2) tobacco plantation of Fielder Magruder, Jr. The house is the town symbol, appearing on the official town seal and town flag. The house was renovated from 1919 to 1922, as the home and office of Robert Marshall, founder of Cheverly. He lived there until 1929. Cheverly's first mayor owned Mount Hope from 1941 to 1977. It has been the Town’s official symbol since 1931.