Mote-Morris House

The Mote-Morris House is a historic home in Leesburg, Florida, United States. It was located at 1021 North Main Street. On December 27, 1974, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. It was moved to 1195 Magnolia Street in 1990.


The City of Leesburg owns the house, and opens it for public tours twice a month. It is also available for rent for special occasions.


History

Mote-Morris was built in 1892 by Leesburg's eight-term Mayor, Edward H. Mote, at a cost of $9,000. The house is two-story with a one four story turret. The Mote family sold the house, in 1908 to Bishop Henry Clay Morrison and, in 1918, it came into the possession of the Morris family, which reside there for the next 70 years .


Relocation

On 1 September 1990 the house was relocated to Magnolia Street, having previously stood on Main Street.