The Moross House is a house located at 1460 East Jefferson Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It is the oldest surviving brick house in the city, and was designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1971 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.History
The Moross House was built in the 1840s by brickmaker Christopher Moross; it was one of two built by Moross on the site. The ownership changed hands several times until the Detroit Historical Commission purchased it in the 1920s. The house was completely restored in 1971 - 1973. Currently it is a private home.Description
The Moross House is a three-bay townhouse, built in a vernacular Federal style with Greek Revival details, including heavy stone lintels and sidelights and a transom surrounding the entrance. It stands two stories tall, built on a foundation of river limestone. The roof is parapeted with wood shingles, and a pair of chimneys bracket the roof. A single-story addition sits to the rear, and a second is on the side.