Montford BridgeEdit profile
Montford Bridge is a village in Shropshire, England, and also the name of the bridge in that village.
It lies on the River Severn and is close to the town of Shrewsbury. Most of the village is in the Montford parish, but some is covered by the Bicton parish.
The A5 road used to run through the village (over the Montford Bridge), but has been diverted via the Shrewsbury by-pass. There are still some services, such as a shop (selling local produce) and a pub, in the village.
The bridge was Thomas Telford's first bridge design. It was built by John Carline Jr and John Tilley between 1790 and 1792. It has three masonry elliptical arch spans, two of 55 ft, and the central one of 58 ft. They are built of red sandstone obtained from Nessliffe Hill four miles distant. The bridge cost £5,800 to build. It was widened in 1963 by adding a reinforced concrete slab.
Regarding the bridge, Telford wrote:
The bridge is a Listed Building, Grade II.