The Montevergine, also known as Partenio or Monti di Avella, is a limestone massif in Campania, central Italy, part of the Apennine chain. It is located near Avellino, in the comune of Mercogliano. It has slopes covered by chestnut and beech trees, up to some 1,480 m over the sea level.
Under the peak, at some 1,270 m, is the Sanctuary of Montevergine, which attract numerous pilgrims. It was consecreated in 1124 near the ruins of a temple of Cybele. The new basilica, built in 1961, is home to a Byzantine icon of the 13th century. The abbey palace was designed by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro, and has an octagonal plan. The Sanctuary is the cathedral of the Territorial Abbey of Montevergine.
Coordinates: 40°56′55″N 14°43′30″E / 40.948611°N 14.725°E / 40.948611; 14.725