Mont Clare Bridge
The Mont Clare Bridge (also Phoenixville - Mont Clare Bridge) is a crossing of the Schuylkill River between Mont Clare and Phoenixville in Pennsylvania, USA. The bridge was also referred to as the Intercounty Bridge, as it connects Montgomery and Chester counties. The bridge abuts a shorter county bridge across the Schuylkill Canal and towpath on the Mont Clare side to complete the crossing. The bridges carry Bridge Street ( PA29), a bike lane and a sidewalk. The bridge will also become part of the Schuylkill River Trail routing.

History
In early America, the crossing was a ford known originally as Indian or Indiantown Ford. Then successively as Gordon's, Starr's and Jacobs' Ford. The crossing gained some notoriety as Gordon's Ford when it was used by American and British troops during the American Revolutionary War. In the fall of 1777, British troops under Lord Cornwallis forced a passage at Gordon's Ford and at Fatland Ford, further downstream. In response, Washington maneuvered the Continental Army further west to protect his supply line and Congress in York, leaving Philadelphia lightly defended. This led to the fall of Philadelphia. Gordon's Ford is mentioned in the writings of both Washington and Cornwallis.

1844 bridge
In the winter of 1843-1844, local businessman Joseph Whitaker, while in the legislature, "obtained a charter for the incorporation of a company to erect a bridge over the Schuylkill at the site of th ford". That summer, a wooden covered bridge was constructed, it was one of the longest in regional history. In early 1915, state highway engineers formally recommended to the County Commissioners that the bridge be replaced. Then fate took a hand and the covered bridge burned down on 9 May 1915. A temporary wooden replacement bridge was built on piles, just down stream from the previous, until the permanent replacement could be built.

1916 bridge
In December 1915, the County Commissioners of Montgomery and Chester Counties requested sealed bids for a five span, concrete arch bridge. In 1916 construction started on the new bridge, which was completed in April 1917. The 1916 bridge was designed by B. H. Davis and constructed by Ambler-Davis Co. Each of the five concrete arches spanned 103 feet (31 m), and the cost was US$103,250.

1997 bridge
In 1996 a contract was let to replace the 1916 bridge. The new bridge was designed by HDR, Inc.'s Pittsburgh office and Czop/Specter,Inc. of Worcester, Montgomery County, PA office. Construction was done by Allan A. Myers Inc. of Worcester, Pennsylvania. Many design decisions were based on the requirement to keep the closure of State Route 29 to a minimum. The project was kept to a short time line by reusing the existing bridge foundations, using steel girders, and an incentive clause in the contract. The new bridge opened in 1997. The new bridge was the first in Pennsylvania to include "shock transmission units", an earthquake damage mitigation technology. As Chester County constructs a new section of the Schuylkill River Trail north of Phoenixville, the Mont Clare Bridge will be used to connect it to the existing portion of trail that runs from Mont Clare to Philadelphia.