Monomoy Point LightEdit profile
Monomoy Point Light is a historic light in Chatham, Massachusetts.
The station was established in 1823. The first light was a wood tower and brick lantern room on top of the keeper's house. The current tower, one of the first made of cast iron, was built in 1849. The braces which are prominent in the Coast Guard photo have been removed.
After the opening of the Cape Cod Canal in 1914, most vessels bound from south of the Cape to the Boston area took the shorter and safer route through the canal, so there was much less traffic past the light and the light was deactivated in 1923.
The keeper's house is preserved and serves as a guest house today. The Lighthouse Preservation Society, the Massachusetts Audubon Society, and The Friends of Monomoy support preservation of the lighthouse and keeper's house. It lies within the Monomoy Wilderness.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Monomoy Point Lighthouse on November 1, 1979, reference number 79000324.