Missouri Mines State Historic SiteEdit profile
Missouri Mines State Historic Site occupies Federal Mill No. 3 in Park Hills, Missouri, which processed the lead and zinc ore that was mined in the immediate area for many decades. The historic site features a geological and mining history museum and interpretive center in the old power building focusing on Missouri's historic old Lead Belt.
This particular plant was built by the Federal Lead Co. in 1906-1907 and subsequently bought by competitor St. Joseph Lead Company in 1923. The mill was retired in 1972 as much of the ore in the area had been mined and major operations were moving west. In 1975 the land was donated to the state of Missouri for recreational use. Much of the land was considered too damaged for return to a natural state and so became set aside for off-roading vehicles as St. Joe State Park, while the mill site has been designated an interpretive center.
Building and conveyor
Mining equipment on display