Mississippi State Capitol
The Mississippi State Capitol in Jackson, Mississippi is the state capitol building of the U.S. state of Mississippi, housing the Mississippi Legislature. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969 and designated a Mississippi Landmark in 1986.

The "New" Capitol
The current Mississippi State Capitol building, often called the "New Capitol," is located in downtown Jackson and has been the home to Mississippi's state legislature since 1903. It is the third capitol building in Jackson. The building was erected on the site of the old state penitentiary and was designed by Theodore Link, an architect from St. Louis, Missouri. The building cost $1,093,641, which was paid by the Illinois Central Railroad via back taxes they owed the state. The capitol is 402 feet (123 m) long and 180 feet (55 m) to the top of the dome. The exterior is made up of Georgia granite, foundation concrete walls and bedford limestone. The building, which is in the Beaux-Arts architectural style, was designed to house all branches of the Mississippi state government, although today the judicial branch is housed in the Gartin Justice Building across High Street. The walls of the rotunda are Italian white marble with a base of New York jet-black marble. Eight big columns are art marble called scagliola. The dome interior contains 750 lights which illuminate the blindfolded female figure representing " Blind Justice" and four scenes: two Indians, a Spanish explorer and a Confederate general. Balustrades are cast iron and original to the building. An 8-foot-tall (2.4 m), 15-foot-wide (4.6 m) eagle soars above the dome, made of solid copper and gilded with gold leaf. In 1979, the capitol building underwent a complete renovation, which cost $19 million. The renovation remained true to the original building and strived to maintain the original design when at all possible. It was completed in 1983. The Hall of Governors is located on the first floor. Portraits of Mississippi's governors since the creation of the Mississippi Territory in 1798 are on display. The State Library and the Supreme Court chambers, now both committee meeting rooms, are located on the second floor. The Legislature is housed on the third floor, along with the Governor, Lieutenant Governor and Speaker of the House's offices. Public viewing balconies for both chambers are located on the fourth floor. The Senate Chamber houses the 52 Senators and the lieutenant governor, the chamber's presiding officer. The Chamber is art marble with the base of Belgium black marble. Its columns are Breccia violet with corinthian caps. Its dome is stained Bohemian glass with another dome on top for protection. In the center of the dome is a green circle of printing that says, "The people's government made for the people by the people and answerable to the people." An Indian Princess on six wooden panels is Theresa Whitecloud, a full-blooded Choctaw Indian princess, who died in 1970. The Chamber desks were replaced in the 1940s. The House of Representatives Chamber houses 122 Representatives, including the speaker, the chamber's presiding officer. The Chamber dome is the original Bohemian stained glass with another dome on top for protection of the stained glass. Desks are the originals from 1903. The Mississippi Coat of Arms is at the top of each arch. The walls are art marble and their base is Belgian black marble. One of the 53 replicas of the original Liberty Bell, as well as a statue erected in memory of the ladies, mothers, sisters, wives and daughters of the Confederate soldiers is located on the capitol grounds. Among the trees on the grounds are the state tree, the magnolia tree, along with two Japanese magnolia trees. Also on the grounds is the figurehead from the second USS Mississippi battleship. The ship was sold to Greece in 1914 but the figurehead was presented to Mississippi by the United States Navy in December 1909.

The Old Capitol

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create_many
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • removed 2 media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com