Minneapolis City Hall
Minneapolis City Hall, designed by Long and Kees in 1888, is the main building used by the city government of Minneapolis, Minnesota. The structure has served many different purposes since it was built, although today the building is 100 percent used by the city. It formerly served as the Hennepin County Courthouse in addition to City Hall. A new county courthouse, Hennepin County Government Center opened in 1973 freeing up the building for city purposes. The City Hall and Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

The building replaced an earlier City Hall that existed from 1873 until 1912 near the old intersection between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Avenue. That structure eventually was razed to make way for Gateway Park, which continues to occupy part of the old City Hall site. The building also replaced an earlier courthouse and also the earlier Hennepin County Jail, which was located where the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome now stands. The building, located at 350 South Fifth Street, is an example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. The design is based upon Henry Hobson Richardson's Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Washington School, the first schoolhouse in Minneapolis west of the Mississippi River, was demolished to make way for the new building. Groundbreaking took place in 1889, and the cornerstone was laid (a story off the ground) in 1891. Construction did not officially end until 1909, although the structural exterior was essentially complete by the end of 1895. The county began moving in to its side (4th Ave.) shortly after that, although the city (3rd Ave.) side was not fully occupied until 1906. Cost was about $3,554,000, which works out to 28¢ per cubic foot ($10/m³). At the time of construction, the building claimed to have the world's largest clock, with faces four inches (100 mm) larger than those of the Great Clock in London (which houses the famous hour bell Big Ben). The tower housing the clock reaches 345 feet (105 m) in height, and was the tallest structure in the city until the 1920s when the Foshay Tower was built. A 15- bell chime in the tower is played regularly, with noontime concerts provided to the public on holidays and on Fridays and certain Sundays during the warm months. The chime was originally 10 bells, and it was first played on March 10, 1896. The building is built of Ortonville granite, with many stones greater than 20 tons in weight. The granite was originally only going to be used for the foundation of the building, with brick used for the upper portion. However, the public appreciated the appearance of the foundation so much that they lobbied for the entire building to be made of granite. This may be a reason for the significant cost overruns — it was originally expected to cost only $1.15 million. Unlike most buildings in downtown Minneapolis, there aren't any skyways connecting the city hall to the rest of the city. Since any attempt at that would have been architecturally disastrous, tunnels were constructed instead. Public pedestrian tunnels connect the building to the Hennepin County Government Center under 5th Street, and to the U.S. Courthouse under 4th Street. There are also restricted tunnels for use by the sheriff connecting under 4th Avenue to the Hennepin County Jail and to the Government Center. The Hiawatha light rail line has a stop on the south side of the building: the Government Plaza station.

Inside, on the 4th Street side, there is a large five-story rotunda including a large sculpture, "Father of Waters," by American sculptor Larkin Goldsmith Mead who lived in Florence, Italy at the time. According to legend, rubbing his toe brings good luck. It was completed and placed inside the building in 1906. There is also a smaller two-story rotunda on the 5th Street side of the building, behind the statue of former Mayor Hubert H. Humphrey. Some of the interior uses Bedford limestone from Indiana, particularly in the rotunda. Originally, the building had a red terra cotta roof, but it began leaking so a copper roof was installed. At 180,000 pounds (81.6 t), it was said to be the largest in the country. The copper has since acquired its characteristic green patina. Over the years, some of the larger spaces in the building were subdivided to make more office space. In the 1940s and 1950s, the city built a mezzanine floor over its side of the 3rd floor, and the county built an annex building on its side of the courtyard. In 1981, a committee plan recommended converting some of the spaces back to their original design and that other spaces be converted to a more modern design with corridors fronting onto the courtyard instead of going through the middle of each floor. The plan also called for the annex building in the courtyard to be demolished, the courtyard domed, and the Father of Waters sculpture moved in there. All of these aspects of the plan were rejected.


4 photos

Building Activity

  • removed a media and updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator